What procedure could be done to get rid of the excess skin over the eyelid?

Doctor Answers 8

Probably Upper Blepharoplasty

I say "probably" because it's not possible to provide a definitive answer about which procedure is best-suited for you without a photo. Generally speaking, if the excess skin is part of the eyelid, then blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) is the answer. In some cases, however, when a patient tells me that have excess skin over the eyelid, it is actually a sagging brow that's responsible for it. In that situation, a brow lift (possibly combined with eyelid surgery) is needed to produce the desired results. Be sure to consult with a qualified and highly trained plastic surgeon who can personally examine you. 

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Many options

So the cause is obviously the key to your question. Starting from the top, a low brow can cause upper lid excess (brow lift), loss of orbital bony volume can cause a droopy brow and therefore a heavy lid, (fat or filler to augment the bony loss)Upper lid excess can be the cause treated by upper blepharoplasty. Upper lid muscle weakness can cause a droopy lid giving the impression of skin heaviness. treated with ptosis correction. As you can see, a face to face consultation is probably what you need. Hope that helps. Adam Goodwin 

Excess skin of eyelid

The procedure to accomplish this is called a blepharoplasty. It removes excess skin and occasionally muscle and/or fat to rejuvenate the eyes. Make sure your surgeon also evaluates your eyebrows to make sure they don't need addressing as well as is often the case. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Upper eyelid and brow issues

Thank you for the great question. In most cases, extra skin in the upper eyelids can be treated with an upper blepharoplasty. This surgery carefully tailors the shape and placement of the eyelid crease. In a smaller number of patients, the upper eyelid look heavy or full because of a low brow position. In these cases, a browlift is performed, either with an upper blepharoplasty or as a stand-alone procedure. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Excess Eyelid Skin

Thank you for your question. There are a variety of causes to eyelid drooping including aging. A blepharoplasty is an eyelid rejuvenation surgery that removes excess skin while tightening the skin and muscle. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy. Best wishes.

Leonard Lu, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Procedure to get rid of excess skin over eyelid

Where there is sagging skin on the upper eyelid, there are normally two different surgical procedure that can help.  If the eyebrows are low, a forehead/brow lift can be done to raise the brows and this also will improve the sagging on the upper eyelids.  If the brows are at a good level and do not need to be raised, then an upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) can be done to directly deal with the excess skin.  In some cases, both procedures can be done to produce the best result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


it is called a Blepharoplasty and the incision is in the crease. The procedure takes about 1 hr under local and the downtime is about 5 to 7 days. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Blepharoplasty for excess eyelid skin

The name of the surgery to remove excess eyelid skin is a blepharoplasty. It involves making an incision (cut) in the crease of the eyelid and removing a safe amount of skin, muscle and often a little bit of fat. This will result in the same shape eyelid but will give the illusion of the eye being more wide open. It is a very commonly performed surgery and it typically performed under local anesthesia with a little bit of intravenous sedation. Complications are rare, but include, infection, scarring, asymmetry and very rarely, loss of vision. Make sure to consult with an oculoplastic surgeon who is very experienced with this procedure. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.