I am a 26 year old woman. My entire life, I have been ashamed and embarassed by my HUGE calves. What is my best option?

I do not wear shorts, skirts, or dresses. I avoid beaches. I am so self concious of my legs and have been my entire life. I have tried sports and working out to no avail. Nothing makes them smaller. I can't wear high boots and even have trouble fitting into jeans. I sometimes have to buy them bigger just to fit my legs. My calf circumference is about 19".

Calf liposuction

Liposuction might be a solution but you would really need a consultation to confirm whether this is appropriate for you. One would have to ascertain whether the issue is excess fat versus musculature/build. See a board certified plastic surgeon, avoid gimmicks that sound too good to be true, and do your research. Happy Holidays!

Calf liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Treating large Calves and Ankles with Liposuction

Liposuction is the gold standard for treatment of large calves and ankles and generally provides excellent results.

John A. Perrotti, MD

John A. Perrotti, MD

Options in Calf Size Reduction

The main decision is whether your large calfs are due to fat, muscle or a combination of both. Liposuction can be used for circumferential calf fat reduction. Reduction of the size of the calf muscles can be done from an incision in the back of the knees. Either procedure takes months to see the final shape result.

Options in Calf Size Reduction

Large Calves

Liposuction would be a reasonable way to proceed. There are several issues that are considered when doing liposuction. First and foremost is to be sure that there is sufficient fat to respond to liposuction. The second is what happens to the skin; it could shrink nicely but could sag. Also you want someone who has somesculptural abilities so that the calves could be sculpted to a pleasing shape.

Large Calves

Liposuction may be reasonable, but an exam would be necessary.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Calves reduction

In my opinion calves reduction is always possible by liposuction, how ever I would preffer a personal evaluation or to see your pictures in order to determine which technique would be the best for your case.

Calves reduction