Lip Fillers; Do the fillers go in the lip or around the edge of the lip? Thanks!

Where do you need them?

Hi Scarlett88,

The nice thing about lip fillers is that they can be customized to where you need them.  If you are looking for fuller lips we'll go in one place, and if you want more projection or definition in another. Often we'll do both.  It depends upon what your goal is, and where you are starting from.

I like to use a microcannula technique for lips as it reduces the bruising and increases the comfort of this procedure. This technique gives excellent predictable results.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip injection technique

Thanks for your question. Dermal fillers are used to volumize the lip, to enhance the vermillion ( the lip border) if it is not already crisp and well defined, and to correct fine lines above and below the lip and in the corners (what we call the oral commissures). Lip injection and perioral injection is an art- be sure you see someone very experienced who can show you before and after photos of THEIR clients, not just stock product pictures provided by the filler companies. The eyes and lips are true focal points of the face, they are noticed first and get the most attention, so it is crucial that this look natural.

When I am doing both peri-oral fine line work and adding lip volume, I usually reach for Restylane SILK.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Lip Fillers; Do the fillers go in the lip or around the edge of the lip?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Both techniques can be used, often in combination. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon