24 Y/o with Bags Under my Eyes - Will Thermage Work for Me?

Hi, Im only 24 years old and I have had under eye bags for as long as I can remember, people always say I look tired. I am considering Thermage as an alternative to Blepharoplasty. Are there any more options for me that can reduce my under eye fat and tighten the skin?

Doctor Answers 4

Thermage for bags under the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to give you the best answer without seeing you in person or having some great photos to work from.  Thermage is meant for skin tightening and at your young age the chances of you having loose enough skin under the eyes to benefit isn't terribly likely.  If you are trying to avoid surgery for now, you may benefit from Restylane in the tear trough area to help disguise or minimize the appearance of the fullness but again, it is really not possible to say without seeing you.


Dr. Grant Stevens         

24 year old? Think Safe, conservative - and great results.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the other physicians that good photos and an examination would be needed to best determine what would effectively address your aesthetic concerns under your eyes. But I can tell you one general point that I make with many of my younger patients: when you are considering an elective procedure to a delicate area such as the under-eye area, do something safe and conservative as your first step. In my opinion, Thermage, even with the new technology, does not have the safety profile or consistency of results  to be a first consideration in a young patient. Alternatively, Hyaluronic Acid filler injections such as Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane can be safely and REVERSIBLY (if needed) injected to camouflage under-eye fat and minimize the appearance of loose skin. In our practice, we also treat the eyelid skin (upper and lower) with Fractionated CO2 to achieve excellent resurfacing results. Please consult with an expert facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon with expertise in this area who can help you choose the best procedure for you. Best of Luck, Dr. Bassichis

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thermage for skin under eyes, not bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is impossible to tell what is right for you without good pictures or a personal examination.  In general, Thermage can be effective for early loose skin. Thermage works by tightening skin and building new collagen.  For more advanced loose skin around the eyes either CO2 laser resurfacing or laser combined with an eyelid tightening procedure is best.

True "eye bags" are usually fat that has pushed through the skin from underneath.  This often occurs later in life, but can be a genetic trait.  You must rule out other possible contributing factors such as allergies, hay fever that cause swelling and not true fat bulges.  The treatment for fat bags is a surgical blepharoplasty to remove the excess fat.  Sometimes this is combined with eyelid tightening procedures or laser resurfacing to treat any skin laxity.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Young person with under eye bags may benefit from fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without pictures and/or a personal exam, I can only make a few general comments. With young people who have under eye bags, the problem is different than in older people. Most often it is a familial trait based on individual anatomy. Thermage is designed to tighten skin, but loose skin is probably not your problem, which is also why a blepharoplasty is not often needed. Injectable fillers may work very well however. These would include Juvederm and Restylane, and for a longer lasting result you may wish to consider fat transfer. See a plastic surgeon before you decide.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.