23 years old turning 24. Considering a HT in the coming months.Done my research, know the risks at a young age. Opinions?(photo)

Consulted with top doctors, some advised against a HT 2 years ago but now agreed that I can have one. Some advised to wait further and try medications. Been on Minox for around 4 years. Did slow my hair loss but definitely did not stop it. Fin is out of the question due to the side effects. NW5/6 in a diffused pattern. I have realistic expectations. Looking to restore my hairline and midscalp using a conservative number of grafts (2500-3000), leaving the crown for future procedures.

Hair transplant for thinning hair at age 23

Hi, Khalilalaban--Your situation and question come up all the time. It is one of those cruel ironies of life that hair loss tends to be most distressing at an age when a hair transplant is least likely to be advisable. As you have found out, different doctors have different approaches to transplanting men in their early 20's, but I think it is safe to say that most experienced surgeons are reluctant to recommend a hair transplant unless there is already extensive loss in a fairly well-defined, advanced pattern. Personally, I would not advise you to have surgery from the little I can see in these very small photos. You say "Fin is out of the question due to the side effects," but it is not clear what you mean by this. Are you aware that a large study found that there was only about a 0.5% greater risk of decreased libido/erectile dysfunction for finasteride compared to a placebo? In many cases, prior knowledge and fear of side effects simply becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And you need to remember that the side effect of *not* talking finasteride is baldness. Without finasteride, the future hair loss you most likely will experience could greatly diminish the benefit of your hair transplant(s). It is also important to remember that ED is more common than most people would think (as many as 40% of men by age 40) and that there are myriad causes, from relationship stress, to financial stress, to job stress, to depression, to smoking/alcohol, to hypertension/diabetes/other drugs. In many cases, finasteride simply becomes a convenient scapegoat. What you could do, if you don't like the 99.5% odds, is start with a very small dose (0.5 mg every third day) and gradually increase (0.5 mg every other day for 2 weeks, then 0.5 mg every day for 2 weeks, then 1  mg every other day for 2 weeks, then 1 mg every day). My money is on you.Thanks for your question--I hope this was helpful.Dr. B

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

23 year old with early hair loss

The best treatment for someone of your age is not a hair transplant but medications like finasteride which may reverse the hair loss. A hair transplant will commit you for transplants for the rest of your life and maybe not worth it at this age

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to see a doctor for a proper exam and discuss your goals and expectations. If you are

It is best to see a doctor for a proper exam and discuss your goals and expectations.   If you are going to be a Norwood 6 then plan the surgery (and any future surgery) based on your examination of your donor hair supply.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon