I'm Asian and have 1 monolid. Is scarring formed by the incision during Asian Eyelid surgery very noticeable?

I am a 23 years old Asian, and I want to get a double eyelid surgery done. I have a mono lid on one eye, and a double lid on the other. 1. Is the scarring formed by the incision technique really obvious? 2. Would it be advisable to go to a surgeon who has better exposure to these type of procedures (ie: Korean surgeons), or just a plastic surgeon practitioner (local, but has experience in Asian blepharoplasty)? Thank you for your time :)

Doctor Answers 2

Asian eyelid surgery scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you want to go to the most experience person but if there is a very experienced surgeon in your area who clearly performs this procedure regularly then this is at least a good place to start for your consultation.

in my own practice the majority of what I do is Asian eyelid surgery

As for the incision method I tend to prefer this method over suture technique because of better reliability and long-term results.  I have not found scarring to be an issue and many of my patients find it very difficult to see the incisions at all as the months go by.  Certainly you can expect to have a visible incision for the first 4-6 weeks.  This often is very difficult to see because you're natural crease or the crease that has been created for U hides this.

best of luck

Chase Lay, MD
Asian eyelid surgery specialist
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Asian Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a common request from Asian patients.  I think the most important thing is to have a result that is natural appearing that fits with your face.  The scar that is formed is not usually visible as it sits in the location of the crease and is not that different from someone who was born with a crease.  It would be recommended that you consult with a board certified specialist for your procedure.  You may want to find an Asian (or Korean) physician who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.