Is it normal to have this skin discoloration around my BA incision? (photos)

I am 3 weeks & 4 days post op from my BA and I have silicon, under the muscle. I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics a week after my BA. I had a body rash everywhere and that's when I noticed the discoloration around my incision. It's a little better than what it looked like about two weeks ago, but should I be concerned? No pain btw, but still a bit numb.

Breast Augmentation wound with extra pigmentation....

No concern needed.  You have hyperpigmentation.  This is caused by irritation or inflammation of the skin around your scar.   The best thing to do for this is a bleaching cream.  Talk with your surgeon about this and which cream to use.   

Dear J,     Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you have hyperpigmentation around your scar.  In some people it occurs due to the inflammation process that is associated with the wound healing and can stimulate the melanocytes to produce more pigment. The rash that you had , which is a result of stimulating your immune system due to your allergy to the antibiotics,  can also hyper stimulate the melanocytes and create the dark pigmentation. There is nothing for you to be concerned about. The pigmentation, most likely will fade with time (2-3 months) and you can hasten that process by using a bleacher (hydroquinone) that you surgeon can prescribe for you.                       All the best,                                                       Dr Widder

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hello jcqlr, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Post Op From Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Generally the scar will heal along with the allergic reaction.  It sounds like yours was quite severe and therefore it may take a while.  If,  after a couple months,  the scar is still present it may be improved by re-excision on the surface only or a laser procedure or both. Hope this helps!

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

Post-operative Healing for Breast Implants

Here are some basic pieces of information provided to our patients regarding post-op healing after the breast augmentation:HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result. FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. These are included in your initial surgical fee.Now, since it has only been a few weeks you should not be too anxious and allow more time for the healing process to continue. However, if you are concerned or uncomfortable in any way you should not hesitate to contact your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing and make sure that no additional treatments are needed. Best of luck to you!

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about final results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.It is hard to give an accurate opinion on what is causing this skin discoloration, I would definitely recommend having your doctor examine it in person. From the photos, it looks as though it’s a bruise that is still resolving which is quite possible. If that is the case, I would recommend taking some vitamin K which will help thicken the blood and reduce the bruising and avoid blood thinning medications (ask your doctor for a list of these medications). 
Best of luck in your recovery. Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Depending on how bad the rash was and if you had any skin slough off, this may be pigment. There are creams that can help if that is the case. The thing is you really need to go see your doctor to find out. The pictures are helpful but the only person that really has the answers is the person that has been taking care of you through this process. Hope that helps!CDK

Discoloraiton aound incision

It is not possible to tell what caused your discoloration.  A resolving bruise is certainly possible.  Pleas follow up in person with your surgeon. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Skin discoloration

Thank you for the question and photos.  Its hard to know what caused the discoloration.  I wondering if we are looking at the remnants of a bruise.  If thats is the case it should get better with time.  Keep an eye on it and ask your plastic surgeon what he/she thinks the bruise is from.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD