Is 22 Too Young for a Mommy Makeover?

I have 1 child that is 19 months old. I used to wear a 34b in bra size, now i am a 32 AA. I want to get a breast augmentation, lift, and tummy tuck. I recently had a consult for the mommy makeover that is $13,900. I do not think i'll have any more children in the next 5 years. Maybe later on. But not anytime soon. I asked a whole bunch of questions and have been researching this procedure for a very long time.

What is the Value of the Outcome TO YOU, and How Long will You Enjoy it?

Hi there-

22 is not too young for a Mommy Makeover, as long as you are healthy... 

The bigger question is whether or not having this procedure is going to be worth it to you over the long term... Here's how you should consider the options:

If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you are at least entertaining the possibility of having more children (although not for 5 years or so). Then we must consider the value of the improvement you could achieve through surgery over the time you would get to enjoy it, as well as the risks you would be taking to have this improvement.

Say you have your procedure now, and that it is done by a skilled and talented plastic surgeon who really know what he is doing, and your recovery goes very smoothly. Let's also say you have another baby 5 years from now. You would then have gotten to enjoy your lovely new body for 5 years, and this enjoyment would have cost you $14,000 (almost $3000 per year). It is also possible that after you are finished having babies, you want a touch up of your breasts or abdomen, and that this will cost you more money, time off of work, and recovery time.

The bottom line is that only you can say what the value of your time and money are to you- and only you can judge how important it is to you to look your best between now and whenever you will have that next baby. If looking great for 5 years, even if it costs you this money, is worth it to you, and you are willing to accept that you may need more surgery later, then it may be the right thing for you...

On the other hand, I think most women would say that they would rather complete their family first, then pursue this kind of an intervention, more confident that they will only have to do it once.

I hope that helps you!

It's not age, it's maturity.

There is no set figure for your surgery. I suggest to patients that if you are in a stable relationship and are planning on having more children, wait for the surgery until you are done having children. Also, I assume you physically are a good candidate. Then you can do it. Another child will probably mess up a good tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Too young for Mommy Makeover

There is no perfect age for a Mommy Makeover, however I do caution young mothers that if you are not done having children, it may not be the most prudent use of your money. I do not recommend muscle tightening in Moms who think they may still have another child. Perhaps you could stage procedures, maybe liposuction and a breast aug if you feel very self conscious...and save the panniculectomy for a little later. 

Best of luck to you, and there is no rush for elective surgery.

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover at 22 years old

There is no age "too young" or "too old" for the mommy makeover. It depends on the specific patient and their situation.  I normally ask patients to make sure that they are done having children before having the tummy tuck surgery.  If you think you are done (or at least done for 5+ years), you could consider the mommy makeover.  You have to know that if you get pregnant after you have the procedures performed, you will most likely need some sort of revisionary surgery.

Best wishes!

When should I get my Mommy Makeover.

Although 22 is not too young for a mommy makeover., you should think long and hard about whether this is the right time for you to be having these procedures. A big section of my practice is devoted to Mommy Makeovers. I advise my patients to wait until they are finished having children before having the mommy makeover procedures done.  If you go ahead and have the procedure now you need to be aware that you will again undergo all the changes to your body that come with pregnancy. Pregnancy changes a woman's body. Particularly the breast and tummy areas. During pregnancy it is normal to gain weight. The breasts become larger which stretches out the skin. The result is that once the pregnancy weight has been shed the breasts will have often lost their fullness and be left saggy. The abdomen also becomes larger during pregnancy, and the skin here becomes stretched out too. Additionally, the muscles of the abdomen may separate which is known as known as diastasis recti. Once the pregnancy weight has been shed there will often be a lot of loose saggy skin left over. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover!

Thankk you for your question! I advise you to seek a board Certifed plastic surgeon and have a consultation!  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Age of Mommy Makeover

22 is not too young to undergo a Mommy Makeover, but be sure that you are done having children. Pregnancy and nursing causes changes to both the breast and abdomen. Subsequent pregnancy is fine with that understanding.

Not too young

22 is not too young for a mommy makeover. However, please consider this: there's a good chance that the results of a tummy tuck and, even possibly, a breast lift will be negatively affected by future pregnancy. For this reason, I usually recommend that patients wait until they no longer intend to have children before having surgery.  

Is 22 too young for a mommy makeover?

Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. The mommy makeover has become a very popular procedure as well over the past few years.  Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too young for Mommy Make Over

Your age does not make you too young for a Mommy Make Over.

• You lost breast volume. Implants will restore your appearance - whatever your age.
  • Be sure you need a lift. The implant alone lifts the breast. 
  • If you lost muscle support - a tummy tuck restores your core support.
  • You aren't planning more children for five years or longer
  • Since you've been researching this, it sounds important to you.

Surgery makes sense - BUT!! Children are expensive. It's not easy to predict what a child will need.

I advise young parents to not take on debt for cosmetic surgery and to have as much left in savings in the bank as they plant to spend on cosmetic surgery. Hope this helps!