Opinions on Mentor MemoryGel silicone gel implants.

My surgeon is using the Mentor MemoryGel silicone gel implants. I was wondering what your opinion is on them? Do they last? Rupturing? Quality? Thank you.

Memory Gel Implants

Mentor Memory Gel implants are terrific implants.  Thankfully, all of the implant manufacturers with products available in the US produce high quality implants.  I personally like the Mentor implants due to their high quality, track record of longevity, strong customer support for patients, and the fact they are made in the US (Texas).  

Mentor MemoryGel silicone implants are a good product

Mentor MemoryGel implants are made in the United States and are a good quality with low rupture rates similar to other gel implants. The FDA and the implant manufacturers currently recommend that a person with gel implants check for rupture 3 years after surgery and every 2 years thereafter by getting an MRI X-ray, which may or may not be covered by their health insurance. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mentor makes a great implant

Mentor makes a high quality reliable implant.  I use many Mentor implants and they are very nice devices.  They are made in the USA and have a very good established track record.  Each company Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra will tell you how their implant is slightly different.  Truth is the implants from these 3 manufacturers have very good safety profiles and the FDA has considered them all safe and reliable.  All implants have a risk of rupture over time and one must know that if you have an implant long enough it will need to be replaced.  Each surgeon has a personal preference about which implant they prefer and you need to speak to your surgeon and ask why Mentor vs Allergan vs Sientra for you.  I pick different brand implants based on different patient goals and body shape as I feel they are slightly different and some implants may be better for some patients.

Thank you for the question. All 3 companies are reputable with good products (similar characteristics, leakage rates and warranties). Much more important to the success of your operation will be careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication with your goals.   Best wishes.