Severe capsular contracture around saline implants from 1978, Will I be able to achieve a natural feel through revision? (photo)

I had seven subsequent attemps to break the capsule in my left breast after surgery.The implants are now like hard irregular rocks under the soft tissue. What I am asking for is replacement with balanced positioning and soft feeling. Is that possible for a woman my age? As the years go by I am more and more distressed with this deformity. Thank you for your help.

Doctor Answers 2

Severe capsular contracture, will revision be reasonable?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos. In short, yes, a revision can be done on nearly anyone. You will likely have an improvement in your breast shape and appearance. You will likely need a breast lift to improve the overall shape. There are many factors that will contribute to your final result (quality of the tissues, volume of tissue around the implant, thickness of the capsule around the old implants, etc). These sort of things can be evaluated in person with an examination and further recommendations can be made. I suggest you find a plastic surgeon in your area, meet with them and see what they can offer. Best of luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Internal bra for complex revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With multiple attempts at scar rupture and an obvious deflation on one side, you fall into the category of complex revisions. Once the scar tissue is removed, there will be a very thin tissue envelope around new implants, so the key will be to add support and coverage. This is done with an internal bra using materials such as Strattice or SERI Scaffold. You may need a lift or other procedures as well.

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.