What's the difference between Botox and Dysport?

Wondering what, if any, differences are between Botox and Dysport? Is one stronger than the other? Does one take effect sooner or last longer? Thanks!

Difference between Botox and Dysport

Botox and Dysport are different brands of neuromodulators and are both used to smooth lines, lift eyebrows etc. 1 Unit of Botox is comparable to 2.5 Units of Dysport. Dysport difuses (spreads) a little more than Botox so it will need to placed a little different than Botox. Dysport it comes on a little faster and some people feel it lasts longer. 

Livingston Physician

Dysport lasts longer then Botox for most patients

Botox and Dysport are both great products. They are nearly identical; both are Botulinum toxin type A, purified from the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. Minor differences result from the manufacturing process.

In my experience, most patients get 4 months or more duration from Dysport injected into the corrugator supercilii muscles, the muscles that makes the vertical "11's" between the eye brows. About 20% of patients actually get 6 months' effect. I find that Botox lasts 3-4 months at an equivalent dose, so Dysport usually lasts longer.

Both can be used in multiple areas of the face. I see no difference in side effects: no allergic reactions; well under 1% eyelid droop for both. Dysport also starts working a little faster than Botox and diffuses, or spreads out, a little bit more than Botox, so it can look a little more natural in the forehead.

Most doctors prefer Botox or Dysport based on their experience and preference. I do think that some doctors overemphasize their preference, especially if they use only one in their practice. Generally, it's best to find a doctor familiar with both.

Xeomin is the third FDA-approved Botulinum toxin. It is also similar but may not last quite as long as Botox or Dysport.

Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hello Sweetness401,

That is an excellent question and there really isn't much of a difference between Botox and Dysport.  Botox is made by Allergan (same company that makes Juvederm and Kybella) and Dysport is made by Galderma (company that makes Restylane, Silk, and Lyft).  They both are great.  The dosing is different but comparable.  Dysport tends to be more affordable and my patients that prefer it say it comes on faster and does last longer.  Botox is more of the name brand and has more market share.  I've injected both on my family with great results.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox versus Dysport

Thank you for your question sweetness401. Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are purified proteins used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox (Allergan, makers of Botox, Juvederm, Voluma, Volbella, Kybella, and Latisse) has been used the longest and studied the best and is therefore the post popular product. Dysport (Galderma, makers of Dysport and Restylane) is newer and has little more spread, which can be good or bad depending on the area treated. Xeomin (Merz, makers of Xeomin, Radiesse, and Belotero) is the newest one and is a cleaner protein with a decreased risk for allergic reactions. Being the newest Xeomin currently has the most competitive price point. The other difference is that the unit dosing is not necessarily equivalent between the three products. One unit of Botox is approximately the equivalent of one unit of Xeomin. However, one unit of Botox or Xeomin is the equivalent of 2.5 to 3 units of Dysport. All three of the products work, but some people prefer one over the other. It is like comparing Coke and Pepsi. Most people will try two or three of them and see which works best for them.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

What's the difference between Botox and Dysport and Xeomin?

Botox and Dysport and Xeomin are all dilute solution of botulinum toxin which is injected into target muscles on the face to selectively weaken them for fewer/softer wrinkles.

The active ingredient is the same. The duration is the same. There are some reports regarding speed of onset differences. The key thing to know is that dosing is different. You will require more Dysport units compared to Xeomin and Botox. The makers of Dysport state that patients with milk protein allergy cannot use Dysport. 

I recommend asking your doctor what product they are using and the dosage you are receiving for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are minimal differences between BOTOX® and Dysport®.

BOTOX® and Dysport® are both injectable wrinkle treatments that contain a neurotoxin which temporarily inhibits your facial muscles from contracting. These repeated muscle contractions are what create the expression lines that are common, particularly in the eye and mouth areas. While Dysport® may begin to work slightly faster than BOTOX®, BOTOX® may last slightly longer. If you’re considering either BOTOX® or Dysport®, I would suggest discussing your options with an experienced cosmetic surgeon to help you make the best decision for you. Best of luck!

The Difference Between Botox and Dysport

Thank you for your question. Botox, Dysport and Xeonim are the three neuromodulators available to help smooth out wrinkles. There length of duration is the same for all three products. The onset for Dysport can be a day or two faster. Dysport dosing is different than Botox, it requires 2.5-3x more. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOTOX AND DYSPORT?

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin contain the active ingredient called botulinum toxin type A. Botulinum toxin type A blocks certain nerves from communicating with muscles and other organs like sweat glands. The differences are in the other materials that they contain. Both Botox and Dysport have carrier proteins. Xeomin is the purest of the toxins.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox vs. Dysport

Both are very similar types of neurotoxin that relax muscles.  The biggest difference is that Dysport is a smaller molecule which means it has a higher tendency to "travel" after injection.

In experienced hands, this is not an issue, although in other cases, it can spread more easily to areas not intended.  We typically stick with Botox for this reason, since it has a very predictable result.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

The difference between Botox and Dysport

Thank you for sharing your question. Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are all neuromodulators that are used for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles on the face. Each product contains the same active ingredient and has the same mechanism of action. Overall, these products are very similar and are used relatively interchangeably in most practices. Some patients report varying onset time intervals and longevity of effects for each product, however these factors largely depend on the individual person. It is of paramount importance, however, to ensure you are seeing an experienced injector for your treatment, regardless of the product being used. To learn more about which product is right for you, I recommend consulting with a board-certified specialist. Best of luck. 

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS