When I Was 3yrs Old I Was Involved in a Bad Accident That Left Me Facial Nerve Palsy on the Left Side of my Face? (photo)

I'm 18. Facial nerve palsy has made me rather shy&tore down my confidence. I miss out on a lot of good opportunities bc of my lack of self confidence. I feel like the person I am on the inside is hidden¬ portrayed through who I am on the outside. I was wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to help myself? Am I too late? Who can help me? If anyone could give me any information I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, The girl with a broken smile

Doctor Answers 5

We can help

We have a team of experts here at UW HEALTH....just up the road. We can definitely help. Please call us at 608-836-9990

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Facial paralysis options

I would agree with Dr Marcus.  There are a number of experts in the facial nerve, from rehab to surgical reanimation, on staff at UW Hospital.  That's where you would get your best options discussed, from botox to free flap procedures, while still falling under your insurance coverage as well.  And you have those experts within a 40 minute drive.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Facial paralysis

I would recommend that you visit an experienced trained and board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Sometime those with facial paralysis can find that Botox helps minimizing the effects by relaxing opposing muscles that might be exacerbating asymmetry.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Correction of partial facial paralysis

Fillers and botox can make significant improvement in "balancing a face" where nerve damage is the problem.  By quieting the muscle movement and filling the wrinkles on the unaffected side it will make the paralyzed, and usually unwrinkled, side and the unaffected side look much more alike.  An aesthetic specialist very well acquainted with the facial muscles is essential for this type of correction.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Facial nerve palsy appearance can be helped with surgery

There are several different surgeries which can help someone re-animate a face that has long standing facial palsy.  I would suggest seeing a Facial Plastic Surgeon because we are the experts in the facial nerve and its disorders.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.