Alarplasty options for wider Asian female nose? (Photos)

I was wondering what kind of alarplasty options there were for a wider female asian nose. At rest without smiling, I don't find my nose is that wide. However when I smile I feel it widens significantly. I would not like my nose to widen so much, but I was wondering if an alarplasty would make it look too pinched with triangle nostrils when my nose is at rest. Any insight would be so appreciated. Thank you very much.

Alarplasty

Alarplasty alone wil help and there are various designs of alarplasty depending on the shape of your nostrils

A full refining Asian rhinoplasty would also help your nostrils look smaller

Important to consider all options including Asian rhinoplasty

Hi – thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have decided upon alarplasty but it’s unclear if you’ve considered the option of rhinoplasty. It can be said that alarplasty is gaining popularity over Asian rhinoplasty due to the less invasive nature, the subsequent shorter recovery time and cost (about 50% savings) of the former procedure. But opting for an alarplasty procedure without considering rhinoplasty wouldn’t be wise.

There is an important relationship between the proportion of the width of the nostrils relative to the width of the tip, and if the nostril width is reduced (thru alarplasty) without addressing the width of the tip (thru rhinoplasty), the nose will appear even more bulbous in comparison. Alarplasty will only address the issue of overly wide nostrils and not the overall nasal perspective. Choosing a qualified plastic surgeon to help you decide between both procedures will help you avoid paying a lot of money having problems corrected.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty - Alar base modification

Based on your photos, it would be a mistake to simply perform alar base modification. There is an important relationship between the proportion of the width of the nostrils relative to the width of the tip, and if the nostril width is reduced without addressing the width of the tip - it will appear even more bulbous in comparison.

An excellent way to get a better sense of the changes that are possible is to have your surgeon perform computer morphing of your images. Although there are limitations, this will help you visualize what small changes will have on the overall balance of your appearance.

Donald B. Yoo, MD