18 Yr Old Saline Implants, One is Noticably Larger then Other, Do I Need New Ones? Is This Normal? (photo)

I have 18 yr old saline implants, have never had a problem aside from the right has always been slightly smaller then left. Now it seems to be more noticeable (past year). Is this normal for old implants? Should I get new ones?

Replacing 18 Year-Old Implants with Assymetry

A #BreastAugmentation without a #BreastLift is usually a mistake looked back on by many patients. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy.They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight altering the longevity of the results. The shape will usually not be satisfactory and sometimes results with “Snoopy” breast or double bubble. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #AugmentationMastopexy. A Breast Lift can also be done while having existing Breast Implants and can be used to correct #assymetry.
Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.The best method and #technique for your #procedures will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Old saline implants and deflation

It is possible to have a partial deflation in a saline implant. See a PS and have this evaluated. Implants can be replaced in office under local anesthesia.

18 Year Old Implants and Replacement

18 year old saline implants may need to be replaced if there is a slow leak in one of the implants.  Please have your plastic surgeon examine your breasts to determine if this is the case. 

Breast and implant changes over time

With any change in breast size, you should consider that your 18-year old implants have changed.  It could also be just that your breasts have changed over time. Either way, a consultation with a plastic surgeon would serve you well, so you can learn your options.  Best wishes.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Saline Implants, One is Noticably Larger then Other

When there is a size change in a patient with saline implants, suspect an implant leak. A consultation with a plastic surgeons can determine whether this is the issue, and a recommendation would be made to replace one or both implants. Both makes sense at 18 years after primary surgery. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Partial deflation of saline implant caused by valve failure

Usually a partial deflation of a saline implant, which it looks like you have on the right is caused by a valve failure.  While it is not an emergency, it is often easier to replace the implant sooner rather than later as the pocket starts to close around the deflated implant.  You may want to consider replacing both implants if you do have surgery.

Changes in breast size

following a saline augmentation implies a leak of some kind.  Please see a local surgeon to help you through this process but 18 y/o implants should certainly be under consideration for replacement.  And at the same time, you could consider other procedures if so inclined.

Curtis Wong, MD

Smaller Breast

Thank you for the photo. I see the difference in size.  This probably represent a slow leak of the saline implant.  I would difinitely seek a consultation with a board cerified plastic surgeon.  It is certainly reasonable to have the right one replaced.

Dr. ES

Implant issues

If your breasts look noticeably difffernt after 18 years, it may be that one implants has leaked. You may want to see your surgeon to be evaluated.

Breast Asymmetry 18 Years after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and picture, but is not possible to give you good advice online.    The breast asymmetry that you are noticing currently may be related to several issues including breast implant leakage, breast implant displacement, breast implant encapsulation…  Obviously, recommendations for treatment (if any) will depend on diagnosis made after physical examination.

I would suggest that you seek consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.