18 days post op. Oily scalp before HT. More evident now due to shaved head. Contacted the clinic but need other opinions/advice?

It's really bothering me and leading to dandruff. I think the oil has increased after I stopped using Minoxidil around 15-18 days before my hair transplant. Extremely oily now. I've been using the shampoo recommended by the clinic. As soon as it is done, I will have to go back to using a shampoo of my choice. Is there any shampoo that is able to combat this oily scalp while also having some benefits for my hair (lipogaine, nizoral ...?) Any suggestions? I'm also open to any other methods.

If your scalp is oily wash your scalp. If you want recommendations, it is best to follow your doctor's advice over

If your scalp is oily wash your scalp.  If you want recommendations, it is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice on the Internet.  If you trusted your doctor with your surgery, you should trust your doctor with post operative care and instructions.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Oily scalp

you should follow the instructions and use the shampoo from the clinic. you should also discuss with your hair transplant surgeon when you can restart rogaine post op, you should be able to by now.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Thanks for our query. Minoxidil has a side effect that it makes the scalp dry which can act as boon for oily scalp, that’s probably the reason why your scalp is feeling oilier after stopping the treatment. You can opt for a shampoo which is salicylic based or use foltene shampoo for oily scalp available at all leading chemist stores. After your hair transplant procedure you can start with Minoxidil, your hair loss and oily scalp can be both taken care of. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Oily hair and scalp one month after a hair transplant

You report oily hair and scalp one month after a hair transplant and when my patients tell me about this I tell them to use Head and Shoulders shampoo and a good conditioner. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon