Is 16 Too Young for Eyelid Surgery?

I am 16 years old and within the past month or so my left eyelid had dropped significantly lower then my right eyelid. It was not like this 3 months ago (I have compared pictures) and it lays just above the pupil.

The difference is noticable by others, teachers have talked to me about 'giving them mean/annoyed looks' when I am not. It is only one eye, and because it has dropped fast I fear it may block my vision soon. Is there a reason why this happened or how can it be fixed?

Doctor Answers 11

Increasing Ptosis Should Be Investigated

You should see an Ophthalmological surgeon for evaluation of the cause of increasing droop of your eyelid.

Diagnostic examination and tests should reveal the cause and appropriate treatment.

Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Drooping Eyelid - Consult Opthamologist

What you describe needs to be properly evaluated by an opthalmologist as this does not sound typical.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 133 reviews

Droopy Eyelid in 16 year-old

While droopy eyelids typically occur with natural aging, they may also occur in young patients and teenagers as well. Droopy eyelid treatment, or ptosis repair, typically involves surgery of the upper eyelid. Some patients might be candidates for eye drops. You should first be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki


Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Eyelid drooping

Dear Jesi,

I agree with the other docs, you may want to get it checked out.  It may something else that is going on that surgery would not be right for you.  16 is very young to have eyelid surgery, so see an ophthamologist or oculoplastic surgeon and they can examine you and answer all of your questions.


Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Eyelid droop is called ptosis of the eyelid

The drooping you have developed needs to be investigated for its cause and surgery to correct it should not be done until other conditions are fully considered. A MRI may well be needed but a good oculoplastic surgeon should get involved with your care for advice and possible treatment.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Appropriate age for Blepharoplasty

It's not normal for a 16 year old to have true eyelid ptosis of the upper eyelid which is what you are describing.  You should have your parents take you for a consultation and evaluation at an opthalmologist.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Drooping eyelid at age 16

Your droop in one eye is called ptosis, and since you did not have the condition as a young person the ptosis is acquired rather than congenital. The trouble talking about surgery is not knowing the cause. An acquired ptosis can come from a viral illness, even influenza, and can also be neurogenic, or a nerve weakness as with conditions such as myasthenia, or possibly MS. Before you look into surgery, you should have a full evaluation by your primary care physician, and then an ophthalmologist to get to the bottom of things.

Best of luck,


Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Droopy eyelid treatment.

This sounds like ptosis of the eyelid(sag). See an oculoplastic surgeon in your area for evaluation and treatment.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Functional eyelid surgery is performed at any age.

Based on what you are describing, an examination by an oculoplastic surgeon is reasonable. They will examine you and discuss your options with you and your parents. The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a web site with a geographic directory that will help you find a highly qualified eyelid surgeon (

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Drooping eyelid

It is difficult to tell you exactly what is going on with your eyelid without an examination.  However it sounds like you probably have ptosis (drooping of the eyelid).  There are many causes of ptosis and the treatment depends on the cause.  I would suggest that you see an ophthalmic plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  You can ask your regular eye doctor for a recommendation.  I can also recommend Dr. David Auerbach who is an expert in the field and has offices in the Orlando area.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.