I Am 16 Years Old with a Breast Problem. Large Birthmark on Right Breast?

Hello, I am 16 years old and I have a very large, very dark birthmark on my right breast. It makes me so insecure because I can't wear certain shirts/bikini tops without it being noticable. Also, my right breast is about a whole cup size bigger than the left one. I read that this was normal but it makes me upset and I wish there was something I could do about this. I know I cant get my breast done untill I'm 18 but is there anyway at all I can get them done sooner?

Doctor Answers 7

Asymmetry is the norm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Breast development continues throughout your life, with a first stage of maturity achieved at 19-20 years old. Asymmetry is also the norm for women, as no breasts are perfectly symmetrical in size and/or shape. Don't worry, because some asymmetry is perfectly normal and you may find that it is evens out as you age. I suggest you wait until you're about 19-20 before considering surgery. 

Regarding your mole, you can have this removed whenever you'd like. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgery for a consultation. Best of luck.

Breast asymmetry before surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You did not post photos and I would not expect you to do so but you we cannot give you a definitive answer though we can cover options.

The reason for waiting till age 18 is your breasts will grow between now and then and we do not know if the size difference will improve, stay the same or worsen. If the size difference is very large you could have an expander placed on the smaller side and inflate it as needed to match the other side. When you are full grown the expander can be replaced with an implant or if it is an expandable implant the fill valve can be removed at that time.

You could wait till you are fully grown at which time if you like the smaller breast's size have the larger one reduced to match it. Another option is reduce the larger one and then implant both to get the most symmetrical result.

The birthmark/mole can be removed at any time. If it is truly a congenital mole its removal would likely be covered by insurance.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Birthmarks and breast asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are two separate issues here and it is important to separate them. 

Birthmarks of the type you describe are usually a skin issue and may or may not have a risk for degenerating into a type of skin cancer and therefore make removal a recommended treatment. Treatment usually involves excision of the skin containing the mole/birthmark. This would not be purely cosmetic and may or may not have any effect on the size/shape of the breast but wouldn't have to wait for age 18. The reason to wait for age 18 is because nearly all breasts are fully grown by then and you can sign your own consent form. 

Whether to reduce, reshape, or otherwise alter the breasts in order to achieve symmetry is a separate issue best decided by a plastic surgeon and may well be worth waiting until breasts are fully grown and what, if anything, to do about the birthmark. Depending on the location, the birthmark removal might be incorporated into a lift or reduction of the involved breast but growth might indeed affect this and they might be handled as separate issues as well. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Best to Consult with a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both of your problems may be addressed with a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Fortunately the birthmark is on the larger breast and this breast may be reduced, along with removal of the birthmark.  Then your breasts will match more closely.  This does not need to wait until you are 18.  

So, something can be done, and should be done in consultation with your parents, and your surgeon regarding your options.  With your parents permisison and your consent, things can be done a lot sooner.

Occasionally, teenagers are suitable candidates for breast augmentation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The description is rather complicated and cannot be specifically addressed in this forum. Occasionally, teenage women with unattractive developmental abnormalities of the breasts benefit from surgery. This is done with the full consent of parents. You should schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

I Am 16 Years Old with a Breast Problem. Large Birthmark on Right Breast?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   The birthmark would have to be examined to determined if it meets certain criteria.  In addition, certain vascular or vascularly related elements have different treatments as would nevi or other things.  The one cup size difference can frequently not be treated as a reconstructive case unless something else such as Poland's is present.  Once again, this can be a complicated issue to sort out over the internet.  It is better to see a plastic surgeon in consultation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast Problem. Large Birthmark on Right Breast?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Seeing a plastic surgeon in consultation will yield better info than will be available on line. 

The limitations on implants are for aesthetic surgery--minimum 18 years for saline, 22 for silicone. The restrictions for reconstructive surgery are soft or not there at all. It would be a surgeon's call as to whether your developmental differences are reconstructive or cosmetic, as the definitions are not fixed and often overlap. As to the birthmark, depending upon the size it may be removable by surgery, or treatable with a laser. 

Best will be to ask your physician for a referral. All the best. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.