Can a 16 Year Old Get Implants?

I'm 16 years old and my boobs are extremely disproportional. One is almost a cup and a half bigger than the other one.(A c and a full D) I had an evaluation done and I was told that they would have to do a lift on the bigger one as well as a bit of a reduction. But that at the same time an implant would be needed on the left one to make them kind of even. But then I was told because of my age I couldnt get implants... even with my mom's approval. What can I do? I really need it. I live in MIami

Use of breast reduction and or breast implants at early age reasonable for significant asymmetry

If a patient were to have developed with an A cup on one side and a D cup on the other there would be little disagreement that surgery would be reasonable to even out the difference since this could be a negative psychological effect on the person.  Once the difference becomes less dramatic there will be some difference of opinion as to what age is most appropriate.  There is no legal prohibition to using implants and a reduction to achieve symmetry in your case.  You ill have to agree to surgery after understanding what is involved, your parents would have to do so as well, and your plastic surgeon would have to be on board with the process.

Dr Remus Repta

Can a 16 Year Old Get Implants?

I am not sure from your question if you were turned down for any surgery or just for silicone gel. 

The FDA guidelines ask for a minimum age of 18 for saline implants, and 22 for silicone gel.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) issued an advisory suggesting that 18 be the minimum age for a patient to get breast implants.

These are advisory opinions. Use of gel implants in a patient who is 21 would be a so-called "off-label" use, much like using botox anywhere in the face besides the vertical frown lines over the nose. Most surgeons who would consider off-label use of implants would use them judiciously.  For example, before gels were available for general use, they could be used in the implant study for patients who were getting a breast lift or who were very different in size. You seem to fit both of those criteria. Some surgeons who would not use gel in most patients under 22 would use them in this context.

As far as the ASPS guideline goes, it too is a guideline. It is estimated that several thousand are done in girls under 18 each year--I have never seen a sanction against a member in that setting. Also, in a girl with such discrepancy is size, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would criticize the surgeon who takes on such a case.

So call around Miami and see if you can't find a surgeon willing to take you on as a patient. You might want to try the University as one possibility.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.

Implants On Minors?

Thank you for your question!  I find it difficult to believe a plastic surgeon would do a breast augmentation on a 16 year old.  You have to be 18 for saline implants and 21 for gel.   I recommend waiting.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Congential asymmetry.

Significant congenital asymmetry of the breasts can be quite distressing. Correction is often done via breast reductions of the larger side and implants in the smaller side. Although the FDA limits implant indications in cosmetic cases, the use of implants for reconstructive purposes is via the discretion of the surgeon. Since you live in Miami, I would also recommend that you schedule an appointment at the U of Miami to see a plastic surgeon. It is important to note however that if you continue to develop, your breasts will change and revisional surgeries can be quite common.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

I think the real question is are you done developing.Assumugn you are you made need a lift/reduction on the larger size and an implant on the other.Perhaps insurance will pay for this because this is an anomoly.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Can a 16 Year Old Get Implants?

Dear Ms Delgado,

To simply answer your question: yes you can have breast implants - even at age 16. People will tell you that you cannot have breast implants at age 16 because that is referring to cosmetic breast enlargement. You would be having treatment for a reconstructive problem. I was a children's plastic surgeon at a University in the past and I did breast implants for girls at age 16.

This is what I would suggest you do: Have you mom read this note. Have her make you an appointment in the plastic surgery department at the University of Miami. They will help you and likely it will be covered under your health insurance. Now would be a great time to start.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon