16 days post-op 300cc over muscle: Why is recovery taking longer than average? (Photo)

16 days ago I had BL with implants in Istanbul, Turkey. It seemed convenient since I live in the region at the moment. But my breasts look as if they survived a nuclear disaster! Mentor Siltex implants of 300cc- relatively small for my height (5" 10) above the muscle, only a vertical lift, so I hoped for a recovery, at least faster than submuscular implants and a full lift. What is the cause that makes my recovery slower than average? Was electrocautery used too aggressively during surgery?

Possible hematoma 16 days after breast lift and sub-glandular implants

You need to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon immediately.  My concern is that you may have a hematoma on the left side which will need to be drained.

The benefit of a combined breast lift and augmentation is that the breast implant can be placed under the muscle which has many advantages including less chance of capsular contraction, better coverage of the implant, and most importantly protection of your nipple areola from pressure by the implant.

If you did not receive quick and appropriate care by your surgeon and turkey you need to find a reparable board certified plastic surgeon even if it means flying back to the states or England.

Hello and thank you for your question. The left implant looks like it is riding unusually high for subcu. implant. It looks submuscular. The left breast also looks infected. I would call your ps immediately so you can be seen in the next 12 hours.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Possible Post-Operative Hematoma

Although your pictures are helpful, it's virtually impossible to make a recommendation regarding your condition without a physical examination. Your pictures demonstrate left breast enlargement with superior implant malposition. Furthermore, there's bruising, swelling and tightness of the left breast as well. These findings are suggestive of a significant left breast pocket hematoma.

Hematomas require re-operative surgery to control bleeding and evacuate residual blood within the breast pocket. It's important to recognize and treat hematomas following this type of procedure promptly to avoid secondary complications. Untreated hematomas can result in significant capsular contractures. They can also result in the development of infection and the loss of breast implants In light of your concerns, it's appropriate to seek consultation with your plastic surgeon.

16 days post-op 300cc over muscle: Why is recovery taking longer than average?

Best to return to the surgeon for IN PERSON evaluation. Something does not look right. Asymmetry is troubling... 

I agree with my colleague here--something really seems to be amiss and it is hard to tell from the photos. The implants seem to be in a strange position especially on the left and the redness may be an issue. Get in to see your plastic surgeon immediately.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon