135 Pound Weight Loss Maintained. Am I Ready for Surgery? (photo)

I am 5'1, 31 years old, and weigh 146 pounds. I have lost 137 pounds through healthy diet and exercise and my weight has plateaued for the last 8 months or so. I had a hydrostatic body fat test done and am at 25% BF. Am I good candidate for surgery yet? I feel strong and healthy and the only thing hindering me is my skin when I run or do other high intensity workouts. Also, would I definitely need a body lift vs. a tummy tuck? Please see photos, and thanks in advance.

Are You Ready

You are definitely ready for surgery. Well done. I believe you do need a LBL with or without an auto-augmentation of your buttocks. Discuss this with an experienced Plastic surgeon specializing in post weight loss patients. Might I add that a medial thigh lift might also be contemplated.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You are ready!

You are ready.  The decision between a tummy tuck vs. a body lift can best be answered once you have a consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in patients with massive weight loss.  A body lift is basically a tummy tuck, lateral thigh lift and buttock lift all done at one setting.  It is a longer scar (circumferential around your entire body) than the tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  Spend time with your surgeon and see which is best for you.  Good luck! and Congratulations!

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after massive weight loss

Body contouring after massive weight loss and what surgery you need depend largely on the physical examination and your expectations. For you tummy there are multiple options, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck , circumferential lift and Fleur de lis abdominoplasty.If your lateral thighs are bothering you, and or the buttocks need a lift then extended or cicumferential lift. If you want only abdomen you need to decide between tummy tuck and fleur de lis tummy tuck. Then you need to thin of the medial thighs. You and your plastic surgeon can discuss the pros and cons in a long consultation then you can make an informed decision. Congratulations on loosing the weight.

Preparation For Massive Weight Loss Surgery

It's not unusual for massive weight loss patients to develop loose saggy skin. Your pictures suggest that you would be a reasonable candidate for a lower body lift procedure. In light of the fact that your weight has been stable for at least six months, it's reasonable to proceed with surgery at this time.

The lower body lift is one of the most extensive procedures performed in cosmetic surgery. For this reason, preparing for surgery in every possible way will not only improve your result, but the quality of the experience as well. It's important to prepare physically, medically, and mentally for this procedure.

It's important to be in good physical condition before proceeding with this procedure. Ideally, results are best when patients are within ten percent of their ideal body weight. In some cases, patients are unable to reach this goal. This group still benefits from the procedure. In addition, it's also important to maintain good nutrition, exercise regularly and maintain a healthy life style.

It's also important to be medically ready for the lower body lift. Patients should be extensively evaluated to rule out other medical conditions. Areas of particular concern include cigarette smoking, blood pressure management and the patient's baseline hemoglobin.

Mental preparation for the lower body lift is also extremely important and helps lower anxiety levels before surgery. It's important that you have a comfort level with your anesthesiologist, surgeon and the surgical facility. It's essential that all your questions be answered so there are no surprises.

Arrangements for post-operative care also need to be in order. It's important to have a care giver not only for yourself, but your children as well. Addressing as many of these issues as possible before surgery will significantly improve results and the quality of the experience.

135 Pound Weight Loss, am I ready for surgery.

You have done a fantastic.  Yes i believe that you are ready for surgery.  An extended tummy tuck may be all that you unless the buttock is really sagging. Good Luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Bodylift, Thighlift, buttock lift , Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

Hello and congratulations on your massive weight loss.

You are ready for a bodylift and if your wishes are optimal improvement (assuming that you are medically fit for the surgery and willing to accept some scars that fade away over time) then a circumferential bodylift with a "fleur de lis" excision in the front, vascularized auto-augmentation in the rear and possibly a vertical scar medial Thighlift would lead to such improvement.

Thank you

Body lift plastic surgery

A lower body lift is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Body Lift Timing following weight loss

Congratulations on such an accomplishment - Massive weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise is always the best. Potential candidates for a Body Lift are patients who have experienced significant weight loss through procedures such as gastric banding or bypass surgery, stomach stapling, bariatric surgery, lap band surgery, or like you,non surgical methods such as diet or exercise. It is crucial that these candidates maintain a stable weight for an extended period of time prior to surgery to minimize complications and to maximize results.

Waiting approximately 12 to 18 months after weight loss has stabilized is best, and when one does not expect further weight loss, as a result of the previous surgical procedure. During this stabilization period, the skin will shrink as much as possible in preparation for the body contouring procedures.

You should be in good health and maintain a nutritional diet during the year following weight loss surgery. Do not smoke during the 6 weeks prior to surgery and try not to recover the habit following surgery as smoking will increase risk of complications and slow the healing process.

Finally, you should have reasonable expectations for the results of the body contouring procedures involve significant scarring.

Weight loss contouring

Congratulations of your weight loss.  You asked about a tummy tuck vs.  a body lift.  If you concerns are limited to your front, you may be able to just opt for an extended tummy tuck +/- lipo to achieve your goals.  However, if your trouble spots include your flanks/posterior waist/or lateral thighs, then you may need to consider a body lift.Based on your photos, its difficult to evaluate your flanks, waist and back area.  You asked about a lower body lift.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).    A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Body lift time!

Congratulations on your weight loss success. It is time to seek board certified PS and begin preparing for a body lift. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD