I'm 12 years old female turning 13 on July 2nd. Can I get a nose job? (Photo)

I'm 12 turning 13 on July 2 and I want a nose job.My mom approved My nose is straight but then I have a bump on the bridge of my nose and then its straight again and then it's wide on the tip of my nose .People say Imma grow in it but its in my genes all my aunts and mom have the same nose as me but mine is wider What do you think will happen if I get surgery ? Can I fix the wideness ? What will happen since I'm going to get my nose done at 13 years ? Will my insurance cover it? I have medical.

Rhinoplasty at 13 years of age

Dear Andra13, Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty surgery is typically performed on girls who are 15 years of age or older. This varies slightly depending on each individual patients growth factors. Rhinoplasty surgery is a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance. The  imperfections discussed above regarding your nose i.e. the tip width and the bridge may all be fixed with surgery. One thing that you can do is start consulting with surgeons and during consultation your surgeon may use digital imaging to show you the proposed surgical results. This will be fun for you and your mom and give you something to look forward to. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Teenage rhinoplasty

Recommended age for female teenage rhinoplasty is from 15 and older. You need to wait until your facial bones are fully grown prior to any cosmetic nasal surgery.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Rhinoplasty in 13 year old.

I have done rhinoplasty for 13 year olds if they are done growing and have started their menses. All of the problems you mentioned can be corrected with a natural results if you select a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

I'm 12 years old female turning 13 on July 2nd. Can I get a nose job?

Thanks for the question and the photos. We don't like to perform rhinoplasties on young women before 15-16 years old as the nose is still undergoing growth changes until then. Rhinoplasty is cosmetic surgery and not covered by health insurance.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Rhinoplasty in a young person

Hi Andra,

Rhinoplasty in a young person for functional or cosmetic reasons has been a controversial area and the main concern is that since the growth spurt of the mid face region has not yet finished ... any early intervention may be jeopardised by further fast growth ... necessitating a revision nasal surgery in higher number of patients.
I have been involved in research in this area and offer surgery to a younger person in a select few where deferring the surgery is the poorer option ... either due to its functional or psychological effects the delay may have on the person. The tissue characteristics change very quickly in your age-group and looking at the limited visual information available here ... I suggest that it is advisable to wait further two years before seeking advise from a Rhinoplasty specialist in your region. It is an excellent idea to involve people from within your support circle ... like a family member ... in the decision making process ... right from the beginning. 

M Shandilya
MS FRCS FRCS(ORL-HNS)
IRELAND

Munish Shandilya, MD
Dublin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty age

I have done rhinoplasty in girls as young as 15 years of age, so you will be old enough in a few years.  I would not perform the surgery at 13.  Be patient, it will be worth the wait.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD