Should I have 12 Year Old Silicone Implants Looked at? Can Feel Moveable Lumps in the Tops of my Breasts.

I had my silicone gel implants 12 years ago in the UK. I have lost 4 stone and can feel lumps which are moveable in the tops of each breast. Is this normal? Can you go to you original surgeon (transform) to have this checked out or your regular GP?

Doctor Answers 6

Unusual lumps in both breasts 12 years after Silicon #breastimplants

Thank you for this important question.  You should see your family physician and the plastic surgeon who performed your augmentation if possible.  Ultrasound, mammography and perhaps an MRI (best study) are indicated.  It is very unlikely to be a malignancy as it appears on both sides, yet, this has to be rule out.  Other more probable causes would be cysts, adenomas, fat necrosis or siliconomas (extracapsular silicone secondary to implant rupture).  I would advise you start seeing your professionals now in order to establish a cause.  Best, Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Lumps are not normal in the augmented breast

Although it is not unusual to feel some scar tissue in an operated breast, you should not have distinct lumps. If the lump that you are feeling appears to be right at the edge of the implant, it is possible that your implant is either simply rippling, or even worse ruptured. You should definitely have your breast examined by a plastic surgeon who is familiar with breast implants.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Lumps in breast with implants

I think that the best thing to do is to go to your surgeon first to get properly evaluated.  Lumps are not normal.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Lumps after 12 years of Breast Implants

   A physical exam by a plastic surgeon or your internist is appropriate.  This will likely be followed by imaging.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

Old implants

Thanks for your question.  Any time you have new lumps in your breast, this should be evaluated by a physician.  The choice if your GP versus your plastic surgeon is up to you.  Imaging studies will need to be done to figure out if this is an issue with the implant or an issue with the breast tissue.  Don't put this off.   Get it checked out.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Moveable Lumps

Your call whom to see first. You will without doubt need some imaging study to help define what these may be, and based on that study, any additional evaluation will be planned. 

All the best. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.