10 Days Post Op Rhinoplasty: Is my Tip Going to Become More Refined? (photo)

It doesn't seem like my doctor did anything about the tip of my nose because it looks the same as it did before.. He says it's just swollen. What do you guys think? I'm really freaking out because it doesn't balance on my face, I feel like I have a huge clown nose because the bridge is so tall and noticeable making the roundness even more noticeable!!

Tip refinement after rhinoplasty

I tell patients that undergo rhinoplasty that there tip will be very swollen after surgery and tip refinement may take many months to show as the swelling subsides.

What to expect 10 days after rhinoplasty

Your nose will heal in stages.  The tip of the nose will often remain swollen much longer than the bridge.  After 10 days, I would expect your entire nose to be very swollen.  Don't expect to see any refinements and in fact the tip can look even more bulbous due to swelling.  The best thing for you to do will be to be patient and follow up as planned with your surgeon.  Don't rush into any premature revision surgeries that could destroy a great result once the swelling comes down.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose swelling and healing

After surgery sit takes one year to see 100% of refinement.  In 6 weeks you will see more and this progresses to 75 to 80% at 6 months.  Please be patient.  Impatience is nerve wracking to you and harms you.  Sleep with head elevated, avoid salt, massage your nose if your surgeon agrees, and try the warm-cold compress switch.  All this helps but the time to heal stays the same.   My Best,  Dr C

10 Days Post-op Rhinoplasty and Tip Edema

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty can be frustrating.  Yes, 10 days is definitely not enough time to expect tip refinement.  It takes good 4-6 weeks before tip contour begins to take place and then 6 months or longer for final shape to occur.  Tip refinement is the last thing to occur after rhinoplasty.  Patience, although difficult at times, is the best course of action.  Work with your Plastic Surgeon during this time to gain reassurance and encouragement.  Best Wishes!

Victoria Yongsook Suh, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

Diana, the swelling should continue to improve with time. In some cases it may take a year or longer Hang in there!

Anthony E. Brissett, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip definition takes time

Tip definition can take time to see, especially if the skin is thick. As long as the tissue is stiff you have a way to go, and 10 days is certainly too soon.

Is my Tip Going to Become More Refined - YES

Ten days is way too soon to be concerned about the tip of your nose.  It may take another 6 months for it to become more defined. 

Patience is It's Own Reward, Even After Rhinoplasty

Hi Diana,

Ten days after rhinoplasty there is still significant swelling.  Your nose should become more refined over the next few months, even years.  Patience is it's own reward.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

Assuming you are showing your before photo on the far left, I see a change already and it looks quite nice.  However, it will take many months to see the final result, especially with your skin type.  Be patient!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 Days Post Op Rhinoplasty: Is my Tip Going to Become More Refined

ONLY 10 DAYS!!!! Healing in rhinoplasty takes months. Like 6 to 9 months at best. So PLEASE be more patient.