10 days post breast lift, stitches out, & still have a small opening w/ some fluid staining my sports bra.Is this normal?(photo)

I had a breast lift with a minor reduction on one breast, no drainage tubes. I am 10 days post surgery and had my stitches out 3 days ago. On the breast that I had a reduction on, I still have some drainage on the top of the vertical incision, and the wound is slightly open. The fluid is yellow tinged with red. I never see it leak, it just shows up on my sports bra. I feel great otherwise. Is this normal?

Drainage from breast after surgery

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is normal to have slight drainage from an open area especially like the one you show in your photo. Bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment will help the open area heal faster with minimal scarring issues. It should go away in a couple of weeks. Be patient, but if redness, fevers or chills occur, go see your plastic surgeon sooner! Good Luck and congratulations on your results thus far!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastlift @docmata #drcarlosmata

Breast Lift Healing

Hello and thank you for using RealSelf.

This is a common minor issue after a breast lift or reduction.  The opening could be where yours is located or below that where the scar between nipple and crease meets the scar in the crease (if you have the anchor scars).  It happens because that is where most of the tension exists from the lift.  

The good news is that it always heals.  Always.  I have my patients just clean it with soap and water, then apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment and a band-aid.

The yellow-red fluid is what leaks from normal tissue cells when the upper layers of skin are not there.  Sort of like a road rash where there is some fluid on the raw skin.  Once the new skin grows, the fluid will go away.

Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Small openings along the incision line with small amounts of fluid are not unusual after surgery.  This spot and the spot at the inferior aspect of the vertical incision (where the vertical and horizontal incisions meet) seem to be the most common areas for wound openings.  they typically heal well in a few weeks.  Currently it doesn't appear to be infected but I would recommend that you let your plastic surgeon know so they can discuss local wound care and keeping the area clean to ensure that it doesn't get infected.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Breast lift and drainage

Small openings and drainage of small amounts of fluid is not abnormal. The area in the photo is under stress and sometimes it may open slightly. This usually heals with local wound care. Make sure your surgeon is aware of the issue. I have seen this many times and the problem will usually resolve with wound care alone. 

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon