8 1/2 Months PO from my Mommy Makeover Would a Scar Revision Be Possible? Or Laser Treatment? (photo)

I had my TT in December Overall, I'm 100% happy with my TT. My scar is really low and my stomach is flat. However, I needed a small vertical incision for my old belly button and it pokes out of my bathing suits. Not a huge deal but if I can have it removed I'd be happier. Could I have a scar revision to remove my vertical scar? I can pinch the skin from vertical to pubic area when I sit. In doing this though I dont want the overall scar to be higher. I'd like it to stay the same or lower.

Timing of revision for vertical scar 9 months post-op from tummy tuck

First, I want to commend your surgeon for doing what I think was the right thing and avoiding the temptation to remove the entire belly button opening with the horizontal scar. No doubt this would have resulted in a much higher placement of your scar, and I don't think you would have been happy with that.  It did result in a vertical closure, but as you have pointed out, this is still preferable to things like a scar that is visible and displacement of pubic hair.  As far as trying to remove more skin and eliminate the vertical scar, just because you can pinch a fold of skin while sitting or bending forward, this does not mean that you should remove that excess skin.  What will happen when you stand upright?  I suspect that as the abdominal skin stretches back out to full length to cover the upright abdomen, your scar would then move upward, and it would become irregular and displaced.  My advice would be to visit a doctor who has ALL of the right lasers to result in optimal reduction of the scar - you might need a pulsed dye laser, like the V-beam, to address the red discoloration, and a fractionated CO2 or erbium laser to address texture and contour irregularities.  If you can get a treatment by a well qualified doctor with the right equipment, your scar can be much improved.  And now would be a good time to do this, in fact, you could have started earlier, like at around 2 or 3 weeks after surgery.  I would caution you about trying further skin excision, and your surgeon will probably tell you the same.  Good luck.

Mommy Makeover Scar Revision

The central part of your horizontal scar looks a little thickened. That suggests that your tummy tuck skin is already fairly tight. Trying to remove the vertical scar will likely make the horizontal scar worse. Even more important, it will make your lower abdominal skin unnaturally tight looking. If I were you, I'd leave it alone.

Robert J. Schwartz, MD

Vertical abdominoplasty scar

It appears that you had an excellent abdominoplasty by a talented plastic surgeon. He should advise you; however there is no way to remove the vertical scar and not raise the low transverse scar a centimeter or two.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after an abdominoplasty

If your skin is loose then it should not be a problem to remove the old vertical scar and make your entire scar transverse at this time.  This should be able to be done under local anesthesia. 

8 1/2 Months PO from my Mommy Makeover Would a Scar Revision Be Possible? Or Laser Treatment?

I think your result is excellent. And I would leave alone! But you can always seek IN PERSON opinions//

Scar revision can improve things

Thanks for the ? and pic. I agree that the right thing was done to avoid too much tension and wound healing issues. You possibly could have this revised with re-excision and closure in its same place (inverted T) or possibly converted to the transverse scar. This will have to be determined by your surgeon. In either case I think you will get an improvement. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

8 1/2 Months PO from my Mommy Makeover Would a Scar Revision Be Possible

Usually by a year after surgery, the vertical scar can be removed. Your pinch test supports the possibility. See your surgeon to review the pros and cons. Consider one of the silicone based scar remedies for the horizontal scar. 

All the best. 

Scar improvement?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scar revision timing

you are 8.5 months from your surgery.  its OK to explore some scar revision options.  Talk to your PS.  best wishes

Laser treatment of a normally healing scar makes no sense.

Your scar is still biologically active. If you are still noticing improvement from one month to the next you should leave it alone until final scar remodeling is complete.