I want to know if it's normal to feel extreme soreness 3 weeks post op and when I should expect it to go away?

It's been three weeks since my breast augmentation procedure. I am worried that there is something wrong with my right implant because the inner part of my right breast feels very sore when I massage it and when I take deep breaths my right boob hurts. Also, right breast is very painful when I squeeze them together. My doctor 2 weeks post op said the right breast hurt more because I use my right hand more often then my left. My left breast doesn't hurt at all.

Normal progression

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work.  At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique.  We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month.  The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity.  At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio.  At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity.  Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  As every patient has their own unique recovery experience, one cannot say how long a patient will experience pain or soreness after surgery.  It is always best to first discuss your concerns or questions with your operating surgeon as they are familiar with you and your procedure.  That being said, many patients find one breast is slightly more sore than the other and that the pain and soreness will lessen as time goes on.  Typically they will express an overall decrease in soreness after 2-3 weeks.  However, always consult with your surgeon first when it comes to your care.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast Pain During Recovery

It is not unusual for one breast to hurt more than the other while you heal. Typically, most pain and soreness resolves after roughly 2-3 weeks.  If one looks or feels significantly different that should be assessed by your Plastic Surgeon in person.
All the best

Submuscular breast augmentation can have extended periods of soreness

Submuscular breast augmentation necessitates division of the pectoral muscle along the inner lower portion of the each breast. This is often associated with post operative pain that varies in each patient and often differs even with right versus left breast.  Most plastic surgeons manage symptomatic patients with regular examinations.  In the absence of other findings symptoms usually subside spontaneously 3-6 weeks after surgery.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon