Consultation with Rhinoplasty surgeon in India
- 3 years ago
This post might appear lengthy but I will appreciate if some someone can spare some time for it. I remember that I hate my nose since I was 13. It has a slight hump and it droops a bit. So finally, I visited Dr. Debraj Shome (he seems to be a reputed surgeon www.theestheticclinic.com in Mumbai, India) to get his opinion. Since neither he shows pictures of his patients nor he does computer imaging, I decided to leave him as of now. But he suggested me the name of Dr. Ajaya Kashyap (http://www.drkashyap.com/rhinoplasty-gallery.html). I then visited Dr. Ajaya.
Now, the issue is that he has not posted pictures of all his Rhinoplasty cases on his website as he told me that all his patients do not give him the waiver to do so. Also, when I asked him whether lip lift is possible in my case, he told me that it could be performed alongside Rhinoplasty and also offered me some discount. I also asked Dr. Ajaya the following questions (answers from doctor follow questions):
1. Cost of Rhinoplasty in my case. ---The cost he quoted me for Rhinoplasty was around INR 1,00,000 (USD 1670).
2. Can you explain everything you will do from beginning to end? ----He explained.
3. Type of Anesthesia used and why? ---He just told me that they use the good one.
4. Computer imaging of after rhinoplasty nose definition – this will give me a rough idea of what can be achieved. ---He did that and I am convinced with that.
5. Is there a possibility that the dorsal hump will be trimmed enough to form another curve inside out? ---He told me that this would not happen and he would even give a hint of hump.
6. Does tip require any modification or is it simply possible to raise it without affecting its shape? Asking this because I like the shape of tip as such, I just want it to be lifted a bit in side view. What material is used to support the raised tip? ---He told me that it would be raised without affecting the shape of tip from front.
7. Effect of cutting tip muscle on lip/smile. Will the new nose go with the upper lip? Will I also require upper lip lift during Rhinoplasty? ---No effect.
8. Front view should remain unaffected – just love it. ---Will remain unaffected except that the tip will be slightly raised.
9. Whether any artificial implants will be required or not. ---He told me that he does not use them at all.
10. Whether grafts will be used or not. ---Will be required but will be taken from nose itself and not from ear.
11. Want an overall smaller nose. ---Possible.
12. Mainly want correction in tip while smiling. ---Possible.
13. What can be the effect of Rhinoplasty on breathing and other functional parts with the type of Rhinoplasty that I want? Have you seen any function disorder in any case you have done? ---He said that none has occurred in his case.
14. As you perform surgeries in US too, are you Board Certified or not? ---Double board certified.
15. How many rhinoplasties have you done and what is the rate of revision? ---He said that anyone who does less than 25 in a year should not do rhinoplasty at all. And he does around 135-140 in a year and only 1-2 revision cases are there.
16. What is your revision policy? ---He said that he does not charge anything for revision surgery, though anesthesia and other things are chargeable.
17. Do I have any unrealistic expectation w.r.t rhinoplasty? --He said none. It’s a pretty simple case.
18. Scale of difficulty. ---5 out of 10.
19. Medical Insurance cover. ---Not possible. I have following questions for forum members:
1. Can any surgeon here visit Dr. Ajaya’s website and let me know the quality of surgeries he has performed? Except 2-3 cases of Rhinoplasty, I am not very convinced with others. Am I mistaken?
2. Will a wise surgeon not undertake one procedure at a time (e.g. will do Rhinoplasty first and leave lip lift as of now)?
3. Dr. Ajaya seems to be involved in almost all types of plastic surgeries. Should I not visit a surgeon who primarily does rhinoplasties? Is my understanding correct?
4. I have posted few pictures (which I have edited as of now, I won’t mind showing my nose if I am ever able to correct it.). Is it possible to get the tip raised without it becoming bulbous? I like the shape of my nose from front and do not want it to be lean as it is now.
5. Can anyone suggest me a good Rhinoplasty surgeon in India who has vast experience and holds a good track record?