Brand-Sponsored Content Guidelines
All content on RealSelf should support our mission to help consumers make confident decisions by empowering them with information. Done responsibly, advertisements and promoted content enhance the RealSelf user experience without undermining our community’s trust.
RealSelf users expect the truth. All ads and sponsored content must be medically accurate and unbiased. Make only substantiated claims. Avoid self-aggrandizing language or marketing speak that obscures the facts.
Web-Friendly Content Rules
Written content should be short, snappy, and scannable. Use bullet points and headlines to get your message across to consumers. We don’t SHOUT by using caps for emphasis.
Images should be mobile-friendly. Text on graphics should be large enough to be read on a phone screen. Photos should be realistic. Airbrushing and Photoshop don’t tell the true story.
Don’t link to PDFs. It’s a poor experience for mobile users.
It’s your responsibility to abide by all laws, including consumer protection regulations and privacy laws.
RealSelf may refuse to publish any content if we deem, in our sole discretion, that the content is inappropriate for the RealSelf audience.
To maintain relevance and protect our community from deception or harm, we avoid commercial relationships with entities that promote any of the following:
- Adult products and pornographic services
- Recreational drugs (illegal or legal)
- Weight loss products and services that make unreasonable claims or promote unhealthy activity
- Pharmaceuticals and supplements we deem unsafe or questionable
- Weapons and explosives
- Online gambling, lotteries, or games of skill
- Imitation or counterfeit goods
- Political ads
- Products from endangered or threatened species
- False documents
- Illegal activity
- Malware and hacking
- Deceptive subscription services
- Otherwise unacceptable business models
If you believe you see a violation of these terms, please let us know.
If you represent a brand that’s interested in reaching a highly engaged audience of RealSelf community members, contact the RealSelf Advertising Team for more information.