Skin Care Products that Really Reverse Signs of Aging
A. Foley on 7 Sep 2010 at 10:27am
What are the best anti-aging skincare products on the market?
What really works?
This would be great to know, because the product choices and claims are overwhelming. Back in 2009 Consumer Reports rated eye creams and concluded that only a few products were slightly effective:
- L'oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Revitalift Double Lifting Eye ($41)
- Nivea Visage Anti-Rides Q10 Plus Soin Contour de L'Oeil Avec Filtres UVA/UVB ($33)
- Dr. Brandt Lineless ($60)
- Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-aging Booster Eye Transforming Cream ($20)
A more comprehensive set of recommendations now comes from Good Housekeeping, which just completed and published their evaluation of 90 anti-aging skin care products in 12 categories. Before-and-after evaluations made in the Good Housekeeping labs, combined with the feedback and evaluations of the 820 participating women, determined the rankings. The winners range in price from $10 to $150, and from prestige, department store–only brands, to niche boutique lines, to products found in drugstore chains around the country.
The winners are:
- Best Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15+: Chanel Ultra Correction Lift Lifting Firming Day Cream SPF 15: $150
- Best Eye Cream: Olay Pro-X Eye Restoration Complex: $42
- Best Night Cream (tie): L’Oréal Paris Advanced RevitaLift Deep-Set Wrinkle Repair Night Creme: $20; Vichy Lift-Activ Retinol HA Night: $42
- Best Anti-Aging Serum: Boots No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum: $23
- Best Body Lotion: Fresh Sugar Açai Age-Delay Body Cream: $65
- Best Hand Cream with SPF 15+: Dior Capture Totale Multi-Perfection Hand Repair Creme SPF 15: $56
- Best Instant Wrinkle Smoother (tie): Boots No7 Intensive Line Filler: $18; Olay Regenerist Filling + Sealing Wrinkle Treatment: $19
- Best At-Home Peel: Boots No7 Advanced Renewal Anti-ageing Glycolic Peel Kit: $25
- Best Facial Firmer: Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Growth Factor Extreme Neuropeptide Serum: $150
- Best Age-Spot Fader: Roc Multi Correxion Tone Perfecting Treatment: $13.80
- Best Instant Redness Reducer: Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder: $32.50
- Best Body Sunscreen with SPF 30+: Banana Boat Ultra Defense SPF 50 Lotion: $10
When asked about these product recommendations, Boston dermatologist Ranella Hirsch points out that "the key to remember is that pricey does not always mean better when it comes to skincare."
"While certain products can offer more potent ingredients and even prescription strength, many good options exist without a prescription at all price points," adds Dr. Hirsch.