Breast Augmentations, Male Breast Reductions Are on the Rise in Britain
AnneF on 31 Jan 2011 at 6:11pm
Cosmetic surgery is more popular than ever in Britain according to the statistics released by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) on Monday—five percent more surgeries were performed in 2010 than 2009.
This comes as no surprise to RealSelf; out of all the countries in the world, the U.K. sends the third most visitors to RealSelf (Canada is #2).
Among the key findings from the BAAPS statistics:
- Breast augmentation surgery is up 10.3 percent for the year with 9,430 women undergoing the surgery. A BAAPS source told the U.K. Telegraph that the increase in surgeries may be due to the popularity of Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks and her hourglass figure.
- Eyelid surgery is up 7 percent for the year with 5,127 women undergoing the surgery.
- Face/neck lifts are up 12 percent for the year with 4,493 undergoing the surgery.
For men, the most notable news is that breast reductions saw a significant increase, up nearly 30 percent over 2009, making it the second most popular surgery. Among the key findings:
- Rhinoplasty, the most popular surgery for men, is up 13.2 percent for the year with 993 men under going the surgery.
- Breast reductions are up 27.5 percent for the year with 741 men undergoing the surgery.