Like Many Women, Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice) May Have Gotten Breast Implant Exchanges
Nothing lasts forever; not even your breast implants!
While many women who consider breast augmentation assume that breast implants are permanent, most women actually do exchange them within 10 – 15 years after their initial surgery.
Take Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice), for example. Last year, the rumor was that she had her DD breast implants downsized because she felt they didn’t fit with her image as a mother. Over the years, it is reported, she went from a natural A cup size, to a 34D and then to a 34DD. It now appears that she has gone to a smaller size which is more appropriate for her slight frame.
Luckily, breast implant exchanges are generally much easier and less invasive than the original surgery. This is because the pocket for the breast implant already exists.
Women choose to have breast implant exchanges for a variety of reasons:
1. As people suspect with Victoria Beckham, may women decide to have breast implant exchanges in order to adjust the size of their implants. While the majority of women who have breast augmentation surgery are extremely happy with their new size, after several years, some women decide that they would be happier with a change in cup size – larger or smaller.
2. Some women with saline implants decide they want something that feels softer or looks more natural, so they request an exchange for silicone.
3. Other women with saline implants want to reduce the “ripples” that can be seen and felt along the sides of the breasts. Silicone implants can resolve this problem.
4. Capsular contracture occurs in only about 5% of women who get implants. This occurs when the body forms a lining around the implant which tightens and squeezes the implant. This makes the breast implant feel hard and distorts the appearance of the breast. Removing scar tissue and exchanging implants gets patients back to looking their best again.
5. On rare occasions, both silicone and saline implants may leak or rupture creating the need for a breast implant exchange. This is usually due to normal wear and tear of the implant shell. While physically harmless, if a saline implant leaks, the breast will appear deflated. If a silicone implant ruptures, it is less obvious in appearance but should still be exchanged.
6. Over time, women’s breasts and the position of the implants can change. Breasts may eventually appear too far to one side or too low. In order to correct these issues, a woman may seek an exchange.
Breast implant exchanges should be an expected part of any breast augmentation surgery. Fortunately, the amount of inconvenience is very small compared to the total time that the implants are in place. Whether the exchange is elective, such as to change the size, or necessary, in the case of a rupture, most women believe the overall benefits of their breast augmentation are well worth it. If you’re considering a breast implant exchange.