5 "Tricked Out Treats" for Halloween
Halloween will be here in a few weeks, which means that finding the perfect treats to hand out is making it to our “to do” lists…or will be added soon. And, of course, we realize that the majority of treats purchased and distributed are of the sugary sort…that just goes along with the nature of Halloween. Believe us, we enjoy a treat of candy as well every now and then (and all have our favorites!)—in moderation, of course, and accompanied by proper brushing and flossing.
Trends continue to change, however, and the “Halloween status quo” doesn’t necessarily have to be a permanent fixture for everyone. There are a number of reasons why people may consider alternatives to candy for Halloween, for example:
• An increasing number of Ghouls and Goblins with food allergies. Take a look at the list of ingredients on a package of candy sometime…there can be some spooky surprises, especially as it seems that so many options are packaged “on the same equipment that processes peanuts”, not to mention how many other common allergens are ingredients.
• Self preservation. A common problem with “fun-sized” treats is that in fact, they are a lot of fun…to eat…a lot of…and often, before you know it, there’s not much left to hand out at the door (unless you have exceptional willpower or planned ahead by purchasing extra!). Offering other “non-candy” alternatives can be a lifesaver (no pun intended) for those not wanting to actually turn into a pumpkin before the evening’s concluded.
• Healthy lifestyles. In light of the focus on increased activity and nutrition for princes and princesses of all ages, many are just trying to avoid added sugar altogether.
Here are 5 “tricked out treats” that aren’t sugar-laden, are budget-friendly, and just plain fun…you may even consider having a variety of these available come spook-time to cater to the wide age range of trick-or-treaters that come knocking at your door:
1) Play-Doh. Many retailers offer small favor-sized containers, and some even have Halloween-colored packages available.
2) Crayons or markers. Also often available in Halloween-sized packages of a couple crayons or markers (for example, what restaurants have available). Could even go directly to your favorite local restaurant to see if they’ll let you buy directly from them, or buy big boxes of crayons or markers and tie a couple of pieces together with some ribbon or a rubber band…voila!
3) Anything glow-in-the-dark. That goes for small trinkets, glow sticks, and a myriad of other possibilities.
4) Plastic bracelets. Halloween-colored or glow-in-the-dark ones could officially make you the coolest house on the street!
5) Other snacks. An increasing number of healthier snacks, such as Goldfish, graham crackers, pretzels, and microwave popcorn are available in smaller, fun-sized packages.
Whatever you choose to hand out this Halloween, we wish you a SAFE and HAPPY evening filled with special memories and fun!!!