Top 10 Reasons Women Seek Breast Implant Exchanges
When Tara Reid got her breast implants exchanged, there was a huge buzz about her great new look. As she and most women who have gotten breast augmentation understand, breast implants are not expected to last a lifetime. Manufacturers recommend a 10-15 year life span. So, if you’ve had your breast implants for a while, life circumstances may be causing you to consider that it’s time to exchange your implants. Most often, we see patients for breast implant exchanges who have decided that their first implants are now too small or who feel they are ready to go fuller.
While the size may still be just fine, other patients come to us for breast implant exchange because of changes in their bodies such as weight gain or loss, pregnancy, breastfeeding or age that now make it a good time to replace their breast implants.
After having the breast implants for many years, patients may seek a breast implant exchange to improve:
- Asymmetry – over time, symmetry may need adjustment
- Capsule Contracture – firmness of the breast due to scar tissue around the implant
- Deflation – occasionally, an implant breaks which causes deflation
- Displacement – an implant becomes displaced below the original position
- Firmness – desire for a firmer feel
- Sagging – changes in the amount of breast tissue and location of nipples may create a desire for a breast lift along with augmentation
- Shape – alter the width and projection
- Size – both smaller and fuller
- Type – switch from saline to silicone or vice versa
- Visibility – implant wrinkling on women with thin skin when implants are placed over the muscle
Fortunately, breast implant exchange is not an overly complicated procedure. The implants are generally accessed through the same incisions as the original. Surgery can be as short as one hour depending on the particular situation.
At your breast implant exchange consultation, we will discuss your situation to help you determine if you can gain the results you desire through breast implant exchange. When coming in for a consultation, it’s helpful to bring in records from your previous surgeon.
No matter what your reason for seeking a breast implant exchange, we can help you determine the best course of action to gain the results you desire.