Medical Options When You Have Sagging Neck Skin
Do you have sagging neck skin (Integument) but do not want a surgical lift? There are many advertisements for a non-surgical lift and non-surgical facelift but you have to be very careful because advertisements can be deceptive especially in the field of facial rejuvenation.
There are medical, as opposed to surgical, options to tighten your sagging neck skin but they will not give you the dramatic improvement that you are most likely looking for.
Let us first define the problem of sagging neck skin. As we age or gain weight the Integument beneath our chin begins to lose elasticity and the normal fat begins to atrophy or dissolve. It is similar to letting out the air in a balloon, as the volume is reduced the structure becomes loose and folds develop. The same is true after weight loss, the fat dissolves and the overlying integument becomes loose and begins to fall.
In my Plastic Surgery practice people call this phenomena different name such as:
· Turkey Wattle
· Double Chin
· Bands or Chords under chin
· Fat Chin
· Loose Chin
What Medical, Non-surgical Options Are There to Tighten or Lift Sagging Neck Skin?
· Laser-there is no laser that can safely produce significant tightening. Non-surgical Lasers can produce tightening but the settings are so high that scarring and wound healing problems are too risky to use an effective laser. Do not believe the ads about laser tightening that is used on the surface, that is, non-surgically.
· No cream can significantly firm the integument under your chin-save your money!
· Non-surgical Tightening- there are many devices that can firm the Integument. The BEST achieve about 20 % improvement. The Integument under your chin is thick and gravity pulls it down which makes a good result here more difficult. Some of the devices are listed below but be realistic, will you be happy with 20%? I tell patients that I will have to show them a before and after photo to see the result. When I do a Facelift you can look in the mirror and see the result. Some of the machines available are: Thermage, LuxIR Deep, Titan, Ulthera and others.
· There is no way to tighten the cords under your chin non- surgically-the cords are muscles and must be lifted and tightened surgically.
What Surgical Procedures Can Tighten or Lift Your Sagging Neck Skin?
· Laser Assisted Liposuction- the new Laser Assisted Liposuction like SlimLipo can dissolve your chin fat, it can be removed by suction, and the laser also helps tighten the Integument from underneath safely. This is the most effective treatment for Double Chin.
· Platysmaplasty - this procedure is usually done as part of a Facelift. Loose Integument is removed and the muscles beneath the Integument that are causing cords are revised and sutured. This eliminates not only sagging neck skin but the two cords or bands under the chin.
Seek Expert Advice.
Be very cautious about responding to promises made in advertisements in Medical Spas, Laser Centers and Spas. Many make promises that they cannot deliver. If you want to improve your jaw line and under the chin consult with a Plastic Surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Ask for an honest appraisal of your condition and a realistic estimate of how much improvement you will achieve. Caveat Emptor!