Life Changing Events Often Are the Impetus for Cosmetic Procedures in Phoenix
“My wrinkles are all people will see when they look at me in my daughter’s wedding photos.”
“I just don’t feel like I’m ready to get back in the dating scene with how I feel about myself right now.”
“My son is the joy of my life, but look what the pregnancy has done to my body!”
Do any of these sentiments sound familiar?
For our patients, often in their late 40s to late 60s, it is often some event in the cycle of life bringing them in to see us. Some of these are joyous events such as engagements, weddings or the arrival of new babies. Others are life changing events such as break-ups with long term partners, severe accidents, career changes or the death of a partner. Whatever they come in for, it is almost always because people are looking to improve their lives in some way.
As people prepare for large gatherings of friends and family, they are eager to look and feel their best. It is common, therefore, for us to see patients in our office who are preparing for their wedding, their children’s wedding or a milestone anniversary who want to improve their look in some way before the big event. Other common happy occasions when we hear from people are after a person loses a large amount of weight.
Some common stories we hear from patients anticipating a joyous occasion are:
- “I want to look my best in all the pictures and videos!” Patients starting around age 40 begin to have concerns about how they will look in pictures and videos, so we have people requesting plastic surgery or non-invasive cosmetic procedures for tightening the skin on the face and neck, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, minimizing crow’s feet and fighting aging with various procedures.
- “I want the body I’ve always dreamed of so that I can look stunning in my dress.” After women have spent their whole lives dreaming of their fairytale wedding, they may find that the gown they love just doesn’t work with the body they have been fighting to develop for years. An event such as a wedding or golden anniversary is often the impetus they need for going ahead with the breast augmentation or liposuction they have always wanted.
- “I have worked so hard to lose all the weight I can, but now I’ve plateaued and just need help getting rid of that final bulge.” When they’ve done all their work in the gym and with their diets, patients come to us for a tummy tuck or liposuction to finish what they’ve started. This tends to give them extra incentive to maintain their new figures through diet and exercise. The procedures often inspire people to a lifetime of exercise and healthy diet because they understand and enjoy the rewards of feeling strong and maintaining their health.
- “I used to be obese but am now thrilled to be at my ideal weight. The only thing holding me back from moving on with my life is all this lose skin!” Many people who have lost enormous amounts of weight following obesity have a need for reducing the extra skin now hanging on their bodies.
Life Changing Events
Life changing events can include anything from re-entering the dating scene following a break-up or death, having a baby or beginning a new phase of a career. From people going though life changing events, we often hear:
- “I just can’t face another season of the holiday social scene until I feel better about myself.” Plastic surgery can often change people’s lives by giving them a boost in their self-image. For people who are battling a negative self-image, a new look can change their outlook in every aspect of their lives. This is because the way people feel about themselves often predicts success in many areas of their lives. People who are generally satisfied with their appearance, are able pursue goals in life with more confidence.
- “Being a mom is the most gratifying thing I could have ever dreamed of, but I’m unhappy about what it has done to my figure.” Getting back into pre-pregnancy shape is becoming an increasing goal for many mothers. Women who do not plan to have additional children often seek “mommy makeovers” which may include a tummy tuck, liposuction and a breast lift as well as other restorative procedures.
- “In this competitive job market, I need something to help me distinguish myself from the competition.” In this competitive job market, people are seeking plastic surgery in hopes of trying to get ahead in their careers. Many people believe they will reach a fuller potential in their industry if they are the best version of themselves possible. If people have a physical flaw that they are self-conscious about, this insecurity certainly may come across on the job and hold back them from career advancement.
- “I feel like people are constantly judging me in my social interactions. I want to finally feel good about how I look.” In the dating world, there’s no avoiding the judgment of appearance. Men and women don’t all have to look like models, but the goal in plastic surgery is to help people feel good about how they look. A disproportionate nose or ears that stick out may cost a very nice person the chance for a meaningful relationship.
Is there an event in your life that is causing you to consider a change?