Do I Need a Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation or Breast Reduction?
The differences are often confusing, so below is some information which should help you determine which procedure will be recommended.
Women’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness and sometimes increasing in size. These changes and loss of skin elasticity are most often a result of:
- Weight fluctuations
A breast lift (or mastopexy) is a plastic surgery procedure that lifts and reshapes sagging or drooping breasts. The purpose of a breast lift is to change the shape and contour of the breasts to give you a higher, perky look. A breast lift can reduce the areola which may have become enlarged over time. This is a procedure which can rejuvenate your figure and give you a more youthful look.
A breast lift may be right for you if you have:
- the feeling that your breasts sag
- breasts that have a flatter, elongated shape
- breasts that have lost shape and volume
- stretched skin
- enlarged areolas
- breasts that are pendulous but are neither too small nor too large
- nipples that, when your breasts are unsupported, fall below the breast crease
- nipples and areolas that point downward
- asymmetry of the breasts due to position, size and/or firmness. (If there is a significant difference in size, the best results may be obtained by combining a breast lift with a breast augmentation or reduction).
A breast lift can be performed on healthy patients of any age, although very young women should wait until the breasts are fully developed.
A breast lift alone will not enlarge the size of the breast. For patients with breasts that lack the desired size, adding breast implants will complete her look.
A breast augmentation is a procedure specifically to enlarge the breasts but also gives a lifted appearance. Here’s where it gets confusing. Most women have an idea in their minds of the look they want. As an implant will add volume to the breast, it also adds a bit of lift. However, depending on the amount of sag to the breast, implants alone may not be enough and a breast lift will also be recommended.
A breast reduction does just that; it is a procedure to reduce the size of the breasts and at the same time gives a lift to the breasts. Most women say they love the relief from carrying large breasts around for so many years and wish they had the procedure earlier in life.
Breast Lift, Augmentation or Reduction?
Depending your needs, these types of breast surgeries can be performed alone or combined.