Chin Implant Details
- Chin implant surgery changes the shape and size of the chin. Chin implants can enhance the appearance of the chin and jawline. The insertion of a chin implant may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour
- Chin implants are most common in chin surgery, however, some surgeons augment the chin area by using your own tissue and bone or Injectables like Radiesse.
- Implants can be removed and are thus, reversible. Surgery can be done under local anesthesia.
- The downside of implants is that it does not reduce the vertical chin height when this is desired. It can increase chin height (the distance from the lower lip border to the bottom of the chin) if placed lower on the mandible (jawbone).
- A complication risk from chin implants is migration (shifting) of the implanted device or infection.
- Over 13,000 chin augmentations were performed last year, a 51% decline from 2000. More chin implant statistics
Source: Answers posted to RealSelf.com by Facial Plastic Surgery Experts