Fat Transfer Details
- Fat transfer is the injection of fat to various areas of the body to increase volume. Fat transfer of viable fat cells can augment the treated area, such as the face, breasts, cheeks, lips, buttocks, and chin.
- Fat transfer is also called fat grafting or fat injection. The procedure is a complex process: fat must be harvested in such a way as to preserve the integrity of the fat cells. Ordinary liposuction, laser liposuction and ultrasonic liposuction that disrupts the cell membrane of the fat cell will not produce living fat cells. Concentration of the fat and washing the fat will also affect the results.
- The fat injection technique is important. Surgeons with a great deal of experience with fat transfer will tell patients that that the results are permanent. However, as you age lose volume in your face, the fat grafting procedure may have to be repeated.
- Bad fat transfer results may be the result of a poor technique due to the fact the fat grafts were not viable.
- Fat grafts take better in more highly vascularized area such as the face and do not do as well in highly mobile areas such as the lips.
- Fat transfer can also help reduce the appearance of acne scars