WOW THE PAIN!!!!

Prior to having the zoom 3 whitening procedure...

Prior to having the zoom 3 whitening procedure performed by my dentist, I did much research and read MANY reviews. All but a few described extreme pain. But, having coffee stained yellow teeth and only being 30 I went for it anyways. At the dentist the hygentist performed the entire procedure. She first discussed the procedure and the prep. She told my why they do the prep. She discussed all the side effects and (unlike many other people's dentist) she told me about the extreme pain ...in detail.... that I would feel after words. She herself had the procedure done on herself and experienced it first hand. Still I did it anyways. (I also had to sign a release form). She prepared me by drenching my face and my lips in sunscreen. I mean so thick that it looked like I was wearing a mask. She told me that it is to protect my face from the UV light. She used other stuff on my lips as well. She than piled on gauze around my tongue, and covered my lips. Next she used special pads and put them all over my lips. She may have used a tape like material to hold them on, but I am not sure. She said it was VERY important to protect all the lip including under the lip. She finished the "protection" on my lips and face and started to prep the gums. She used a selant type gel that hardens. She spent about 45 minutes making sure EVERY speck of gums were covered. She informed me that any part of the gums that are showing will severely burn if exposed to the light and or the bleach.She told me to immediatly report ANY sensation on my lips, gums, or face. After she prep'd my gums, she applied the two gels on my teeth. She placed the light on for 15 minutes. (Your dentist will either do 3 times at 20 mins each, or 4 times at 20 min each). After about 2 minutes she came back in and asked if I feel ANY sensation on my gums, lips, or face. I did. A small part of my front gums were burning a little. She immediatly took the lamp off and fixed the gum seal. I moved my mouth and broke the seal. Since the seal hardens, if you move it will crack. I made it through the first 15 minutes no problem. She took the gels off my teeth, reinspected the gum selants, replaced the gauze around my tongue and lips, reapplied the gels on the teeth and set the timer for another 15 minute round. AND THEN THERE WAS PAIN!!! About 10 minutes into the 2nd round of 15 minutes I felt those "zingers". Holy CRAP!!!!! THEY feel like someone is nailing your teeth nerves with a sledgehammer and tiny needles. OUCH. I have NEVER had pain like this. It was a pulsating type of pain. It lasted only a few seconds and passed. Then they happened again and again. Now, having passed a kidney stone, gone through 9 hours of "coupling" child birth labor pains, and having been stabbed in the leg I can honestly say that I would rather have all three of those happen to me at the same time than have this pain. Okay, so you say.... a painful zinger here and there... no biggy. It will eventually go away right? That is what I thought. I immediatly stopped the procedure, had everything taken out of my mouth and off my face, took the meds they gave me and left. The drive home the zingers were HORRIBLE. I went home and fell to the floor just rolling in pain. I called my regular dentist, and he had me come in right away. He is NOT a fan of the in office whitening procedures for this very reason. Anyways, he perscribed to me painkillers and a mouth wash that is basicaly Litacain (sp?). I picked up these items (in pain) and took them home. The zingers were not constant for me, and I only had about 10 every hour (although one in a lifetime is more than enough). So I didn't take the meds YET. I fell asleep. I woke up about 1 hour later and all he** broke loose in my mouth. Every one of my teeth were screaming with pain. Not quite the pain of the zingers, but none the less this was a constant pain. TERRIBLE pain. I didn't want to MOVE. I immediatly took the painkillers and used the mouthwash... and after an hour gave up hope that either of these would help. It was HORRIBLE PAIN. In the end, I had to stick it out. The pain lasted 17 hours total. The next day my teeth felt better, but were still sensitive (at a level that I could handle). Many people reading this my think I am weak, have a low pain threshold, etc, but if you do your research, you will find that I am NOT alone and MOST people who write the reviews will describe the same thing I am explaining now. Having said that this is the outcome. My teeth never whitened using the bleaching trays. That is why I wanted to try this procedure. I went in and my teeth were the yellowist color on the "teeth" scale before turning into the gray/yellow shades. Immediatly after the procedure my teeth were at the whitest on the scale (and remember I only went through 1 session at 15 min, and 1 session at 10 minutes). After a few days and after my teeth resealed themselves, my teeth were between the 3rd and 4th whitest on the white side of the teeth color scale (according to the many reviews I have read, this is common that they become less white after they reseal, unlike what the dentist tells you about your teeth will continue to whiten for 2-3 days... that is bull and I have yet to hear anyone confirm that they DO continue to whiten for the following 2-3 days). Anyways, I was sent home with more at home bleach to continue to use for the following 3 days ( after the pain I felt, I gave it more like 2 weeks). I never did use the 22percent strength formula they gave me to use. I just used a 15 percent peroxide tubes that I got from my original dentist. This took my teeth 1 shade white within a week. And I am happy with that. My conclusion is this. If you are willing to risk having to deal with the extreme extreme nerve pain in your teeth for about a day(50 x's worse than a root canal WITHOUT the numbing), possible 3rd degree burns on your gums, lip, tongue, etc,and you can afford to drop the money on this procedure than that is 100 percent your choice. I educated myself and new to make sure my gums, lips, face etc. were 100 percent protected. I went for it. Although the pain was extreme; and if you asked me on the day I had this pain, I would have told you that it is NOT worth it. For me, know that it seems to be overwith I would do it again. My teeth NOW respond using the bleaching trays at home as I was easily able to lighten them up a bite after my teeth darked a little. Fully educate yourself on what can go wrong with the procedure. My information on the severly burnt gums, etc are things I read about numerous time in other people's reviews of this procedure. But I used that information to be able to be better prepared to PREVENT things from going wrong. The meds don't help to take the pain away. My friend had the same procedure done, and was able to get a novacain (sp?) shot, and that didn't even phase the pain. Perhaps you will be lucky enough to NOT experience any pains or even just minor pains. There are those who report minor pain. I hope my experience will help you to make a good decision, better prepare yourself for the procedure, and make you more aware of some of the risks involved. Just a little FYI. One of my front teeth were damaged as a kid, and I have a veneer on it. On my picture, you may be able to see a difference in my front teeth. It is going to be replaced to match my other teeth, however, you should know that veneers, crowns, fillings etc. will NOT bleach. Mine did a little as the veneer itself was put on when I was 12 (before my coffee days) and the bleach was able to remove a good amount of surface stains, but it did NOT change the original color of the veneer.

I think everybody reacts different, I had it done yesterday and except for a little sensitivity I had no issues and no pain at all! I think it just really depends on how sensitive your teeth already are. My hygienist was great and i had no issues with my gums or lips burning either. The results are great and i would do it again.
You described exactly what I felt when I had zoom done. They were going to do three sequential treatments. I didn't even get halfway through the second. It felt like being zapped in the mouth with a live electrical wire. My dentist had to block my entire mouth, but that only worked for the short term pain. The severe shocks continued for two days and lesser ones for three months later, though much less frequent. My teeth are also soo much more sensitive now. I felt the same nerve pains a year later when I broke all the bones in my cheek. No different.
Wow the pain certainly mirrors my experience. One time is was 'ow ok that hurts" this must be the pain they're talking about. But no. There was excruciating lightening pain at one moment on my bottom tooth, that I leapt up and yanked the braces off!! I thought they were going to crack. I wanted to call my dentist and tell him to cancel the in office treatment cos I were scared how much pain there would be. If u want to whiten ur teeth I would say DONT. The wowzer pain is not worth it. I wish I knew about the pain before I signed the contract.
I just had the zoom whitening procedure done and after reading this blog I almost cancelled my appointment. I felt no sensitivity during the procedure and after afterwards I did feel some lightening like pains but they last a few seconds at a time and are spaced 20-30 minutes apart or so. I took some painkillers and went to bed and was just fine. The results are really amazing. Worth it, and I guess it does depend on the person as to how you would take it. Not everyone will experience the same pain.
OMG!! Just had it done about 1hrs ago I'm experiencing lots of sharp shocking pains throughout my teeth it's horrible I've never felt this much tooth pain, I'm pretty pain tolerant but this is indescribable. I wish I would of done my research. I didn't prep for it at all. I've never done whitening so I didn't expect pain. I did two 20 min sessions, the first was fine I didn't feel a thing, the second I started getting zingers the last 5 min of it was the hardest. She asked if I could do the third session I was until i felt sharp tooth pain in my bottom two front teeth I just couldn't! I thought the pain would b over after it was off but noo thank good I live close by. I'm curled up in bed lol took a couple pills hopefully it goes away soon! I have things to do. Btw I think they only lightened one shade she said. My teeth r pretty white already she told me but not in my eyes! That's y I did it plus I got my braces off a month ago so I just want a perf white smile. Prepare for the aweful shocks.
I had the procedure done today, and it was only for 13 minutes total. OMG I regret this decision!!! I I got it done early in the morning and could do anything else for the rest of the day- what a horrible pain!!! Thank you all for the posts. Now at least I have a hope that it will eventually go away.
I had the Zoom whitening done 3 days. My dentist did tell me some people do experience pain and to give them a thumbs down if I felt pain. Session one no problem, 1 or 2 zingers. Session 2, alright, a few more zingers. Session 3 OMG! I want to stop. I told my dentist no more it hurt. He added a desensitizing gel for the 4th time (my teeth were pretty dark from smoking & coffee). I went through w/ it and thought I would die. Zingers bouncing through my mouth left & right. My dentist did prep my mouth extremely well, no burns of any kind. I wish I hadn't done it at the time one i felt the pain but now I am so glad I did. I took to Aleve that did not help then I took a Tylenol w/ codeine after work and by the next day I was fine. Would definitely recommend if it is something you really want.

I did the zoom today! I got through 1 15 minute treatment. Then out of NOWHERE LIGHTENING STRUCK MY TOOTH! at least thats what it felt like! Crazy pain!! and it kept happening! no one warned me and the hygenist tried to minimize it. Oh thats just a zinger ( a nice baby sounding word for the worst pain ive ever felt in my life ). I told the dentist to numb up my mouth immediately. He refused and said its not standard. Then i said he must as i was in SERIOUS pain! and he told me " the tooth should not hurt like that." and i said " my tooth did not read any text books"!!!!
he then injected my tooth which felt like identical pain from the "zinger" and then i felt relief and was so happy to have it numbed up.
if you are going to do this procedure, take a percoset and valium prior to sitting down in the chair!

I just had it done today. They did a series of 4 fifteen minute sessions (I see most people get 3, so I don't know why I got 4- they weren't THAT bad.) I had prepared for the procedure by having coated my teeth in MI paste (Recaldent) for 30 minutes beforehand, followed by Sensodyne toothpaste swishing in my mouth for 20 minutes beforehand.) I had no pain at all during the procedure. After it was completed, the technician painted some type of Vitamin E gel on my teeth and then we again coated my teeth in MI Paste and Sensodyne, basically swishing it around in my mouth for 20 minutes. I also took an Advil. So far I've only had two bad twinges and that was from cold air sucked in while talking (I've decided to avoid talking for a few hours.) It wasn't really worse than having sensitive teeth and eating ice cream and it went away immediately. I think the key to surviving this procedure without major pain is to properly prepare your mouth and have supplies on hand to block the tooth tubules up so that the nerves are soothed. Swish Sensodyne before and after, take Advil, and don't talk for several hours. My teeth are 6 shades whiter so it worked very well for me. They told me it would continue to whiten for the next 24 hours up to 2 shades more. One thing I've noticed no one is posting, is that you should avoid anything that stains your teeth for 48 hours. The whitening opens up the pores in the teeth and they are more vulnerable to stains until the pores are sealed again. No coffee, pop, red wine, mustard, curry, etc for 48 hours. I know a lot of people experience pain, but I think with advanced knowledge of what to expect and what to do to counteract the effects, it is still worth doing.

Ouch. It sounds painful but at least your teeth look great.
RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!! Maalox does wonders for many things! Vanity is painful!!!
I am so glad I had this procedure a year ago. I have maintained it and my teeth still look great. There was pain during the procedure, but the results were SOOOO worth it. I had tooth sensitivity before the treatment, but none since! That alone would be worth it to me. But, my teeth are also whiter.
I had zoom earlier today, OUCH!!! I am recovering from hand surgery and that pain is nothing compared to the pain from the zoom. I took 2 tylenol and a ibuprofin 800 mg and it didn't touch this pain. I am waiting for the time to painstakingly pass so I can take oxycotin or something. I would not reccomend zoom to anyone, the teeth are white, but it was so not worth this pain. I just hope it goes away soon, i can't stand this too much longer. This procedure is suposed to be followed by veneers on front, now I'm afraid to let anyone touch my mouth. When will this pain stop????
I had the zoom whitening today and I read all these reviews (especially the bad ones) before i went ahead with the procedure. I can honestly say i was one of the fortunate ones durin the whitening because I experienced no pain or sensitive whatsoever! However, after coming home i have experienced some zingers which ARE painful but only last a few seconds. Im very happy with my results and would like to say to everyone whose having any doubts aboutgoin through with this that EVERYONE is diferent. Just because somebdy has experienced 'excruciating pain' doesnt mean you will. After reading these reviews I was so put off from going ahead with it and almost didn't show up. But personally, it was NOTHING like what everyone is exaggerating on this page. Like i said, everyone is different.
Just did Zoom a few hours ago. I read many reviews and went in pretty much terrified but determined to have it done.
I had my teeth cleaned immediately before the Zoom treatment so I was worried I'd be extra sensitive. Well, they stuffed gauze everywhere to protect my gums, and I guess that must've been done well since I didn't feel my gums burn. The first 15 minute session was painless. The second 15 minutes towards the end I felt a single zinger...painful? YES. Bearable? Also yes. I let them know I felt one sharp pain for a few seconds and they told me during the third set if it gets so bad that I can't stand it, ring the bell for them and they can stop it, or simply remove the gel from the teeth that are being sensitive and continue treating the other teeth. I could feel my teeth getting more sensitive during the last 15 minutes--but it wasn't exactly painful until the last half--several of my front teeth were experiencing shooting pains, and it got progressively frequent, my whole body was tensed up. They came to check on me and probably saw me cringing and told me I had 5 minutes to go...I gave them the thumbs up to continue. It was painful but still bearable. It seems it gets progressively more painful though so I'm not sure I would've finished until the end if they told me I had 10 more minutes to go...since I'm sure at that point it would be super painful.

So...that was 9 hours ago. I had some painful zingers on the drive home. But it wasn't so bad that I couldn't run errands. I still drove out, took my vehicle for inspection, etc. and went out for dinner. Yes, I could eat. My teeth are still sensitive--I'd compare it to biting into a really cold popsicle, except you can't take your teeth back out. And every so often I'll get a painful zinger that makes me stop for a few seconds to recover. I wouldn't classify it as debilitating, although its definitely distracting and annoying. I'm more sensitive to cold afterwards so eating warm foods weren't an issue.

Oh yes, and the whole reason I went in the first place. My teeth ARE whiter. I can tell because Zoom does not whiten fillings, crowns, etc. Since my previous fillings matched the color of my teeth PRE-Zoom, I could compare my actual teeth now to the fillings. Its pretty obvious since the teeth with the fillings now look like they are two distinct colors--I will go and get that fixed later, but at least its proof of the color difference.

I consider myself lucky--some people described it as the worst pain ever, worse than childbirth. While I don't have children, I'm pretty sure I'm relatively fortunate in that this can't be anywhere near as painful as childbirth. It definitely wasn't pain free for me, but I was just glad I could function and talk relatively normally afterwards.
Wow you guys are a bunch of babies! I had the zoom treatment done a few years ago and while it was painful it was nothing like being stabbed in the leg or anything like that. The pain lasts about a day and your teeth will be at least a few shades whiter. Is it worth it? Well thats entirely up to you. If you want immediate results and you dont mind paying the price then sure go for it. If your a big baby and cant deal with a little pain then stick to the bleaching trays. The most painful part is when the procedure is being done. You will feel your gums being burned and it does hurt but your only sitting there for what an hour? Suck it up deal with it geez people..

It seems like people have an all-or-nothing experience with Zoom. Either it kills them or they hardly feel a thing. I guess you're one of those lucky ones. ;)

It is certainly not a little pain. Dont let this post fool you. IF you do this, you are in for a painful afternoon at the very least.
i went through the procedure in 2 hours. 45 minutes prep time - was a breeze, then 2 X 30 minute session under the light, that too was painless, actually watched a movie and to be honest at times i could have nodded off. probably 15 minute clean up and i was out. i did notice for a few days after my teeth continued to whiten, but even with the bleaching kit they give you to "touch up" my teeth seemed to slightly darken after a week. Shame because i really liked the results. I was a B1 and went to an A1 and the pictures of the before and after were really impressive. I feel bad for the people with poor experiences, i'll probably go back, was $390CAD well spent for me.
you poor thing because a B1 is whiter then a A1...any dental professional will tell you that :(
Not worth it! My teeth hurt sooo bad and they are not even that white at all eventhough I have healthy teeth. Such a waste of time, energy, comfort, and money. I hope there is a better way and I wish I had done more research about this.
I did Zoom procedure done 3 days ago and i can't forget the PAIN during the procedure. Every sesssions take 15 minutes and the 3rd session Oh my god i felt like an electrical shot came through my root tooth uper left,right and lower left, right and it's go through the nerse during the 3rd sessions when they put the pleaching on my teeth. The sensitive felt like electrical shot and my body was jumpup. I just want to stop but dentist said it's almost done and i was crying and want to give up. OK after that i came home and couldn't open my mouth for 15 hours cause everytime i open my mouth the air came in and the sensitive was hurting me. I bite my teeth together all the time so it's can help. I pay $450 for this and NEVER DO IT AGAIN.
i did the ZOOM today and it went alright during the procedure. my teeth are usually sensitive when i do at home whitening treatments, so i was very nervous about this. i was told that zingers could happen during the procedure and didn't know they would happen afterwards at home. WOW! i've had about 10 and 5 were super painful! called the dr and he's giving me pain meds and some flouride rinse. i didn't know that i'd have pain possibly for 2 days, but probably still would have gone for it. it was on special for $299 including trays and day gel, and relief gel.
where did u do it for 299 plzzzz
I had the Zoom procedure done today. I had no pain during the procedure and fell asleep at times during the three 15 minute bleaching sessions. My teeth were stained from my chronic coffee consumption, and lightened several shades following the procedure. I was very pleased with the results. I am still having no pain or gum or lip irritation tonight. The cost of the procedure was 400.00 which included custom bleaching trays and one tube of the home bleaching solution.