Surgical Revision of a Previous RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery - Ypsilanti, MI

Had RNY revision surgery because prior RNY surgery...

Had RNY revision surgery because prior RNY surgery (done elsewhere) was a failure...stomach had not been made small enough during initial surgery. Supposedly because my liver was exceptionally large. I could have just let it be, but my weight was picking up too even with diet and exercise.

I began my research and decided on revision surgery because I felt it necessary for health reasons and because when done properly it works! It also helps that the new surgeon used to be a liver transplant surgeon so he obviously knew how to get around the liver so to speak...

Michigan Bariatric Surgeon

Knowing that something was not right about the initial surgery, When researching surgical alternatives, all roads led to Dr. P. e.g. Support group chat, patient recommendations, etc. Most bariatric surgeons will not take on "someone elses problem patient". However, he agreed to take me on and that was one of the best days of my life. Having revision surgery can be more of a risk because he had to undo what was done previously and redo it correctly. Well he is a genius...and I don't say that lightly. I believe I came out of this surgery more easily than the last one. The entire experience was superior from the check in personnel to the nurses on the recovery floor. Their follow up while recovering was a surprise. I received a couple of calls making sure I was OK and discussing diet options at each stage. I cannot say enough about Dr. P. I just wish I had gone there in the first place! Anyone looking for a revision should meet with Dr. P. Obviously if he can do a revision, he can handle a normal Gastric Bypass type surgery too!

Hi Kirsty -
I am absolutely satisfied with my surgery. I have lost 137 pounds and have approximately 35 to go. The loss is less at this time, but I am watching my body transform so I am fine with the slower losses.

Melodie

Wow, you're doing realy well. As you get closer to your goal you will start to slow down and lose less, but that's how it's supposed to be. I'm glad everything's working out for you. It's a long journey but definitely worth it.

Sorry, I somehow missed this post. I was feeling really good about 3 weeks after surgery, but stayed off work for 6 weeks just to ensure I was healed. I have a tendancy to go back to work too quickly so I made myself wait the extended period of time. Mine was done laproscopically, but then I had a fabulous surgeon for this one--Dr. Poplawski at Barix.

Hi there,

it's nice to see you back on RealSelf. Are you still finding your surgery to be succesful?

Kirsty

I am currently in the process of having a Revision from a problem Open RNY in 2002. How long did it take you to recover from the revision surgery? Was it done laproscopic or open? Thanks!
Hi Kirsty - Well...this time has been quite different from the first surgery! First off my stomach is about the size of my thumb, therefore, I can only eat a little bit. Although I am very familiar with the diet, this time it is much harder to make choices that always agree with me. One day something goes down easily the next time not so much. It can be frustrating. But I am going with the flow because I want it to work. The weight loss is slower than other people in my support groups, but so long as it is still coming off that is all I care about. I had my revision surgery on 6/16 and have lost 38.5 lbs on this journey, but have lost a total of 98.5 lbs since the previous surgery. However, I still have approximately 70 to go! Are you thinking of having or have you already had surgery?

Thanks for your review! How did you do with the change in diet and eating habits? Did you have any issues diet-wise? Has the surgery been a success so far?