16 Years Old, Cystic Acne Since Age 11. (Month 5 - 40mg) - York, PA

From the time I hit puberty at age eleven, I've...

From the time I hit puberty at age eleven, I've had severe cystic acne on my face, back, chest, and shoulders. I have tried many many topical creams, antibiotics, over the counter remedies, hormone therapy, anything my doctors and I could think of to try and ease the effects of my acne on my life. Since the time I developed acne, I've been extremely self-conscious, (thus the lack of pictures, sorry!) and since I developed it at such a young age, I've been harassed and made fun of during a sensitive part of my life. I am now sixteen years old with moderate acne in all of the above listed places. I was on Bactrim DS for more than two years, and that was the only medication I have ever tried that has had any effect on the acne, unfortunately, it hasn't cleared it to a point where I'm comfortable with it.
So five months ago, I decided to talk to my doctor about being put on Accutane. The side-effects weren't daunting to me because I naturally have very oily skin and skin dryness is the main concern. My insurance covers the cost besides $20 a month, which isn't even as expensive as some topical creams I have been on. Accutane has worked very slowly for me. After about two months, I could see visible improvement on my shoulders, and after three my chest and back slowly started to clear. It has now been five months and my chest, back, and shoulders are almost entirely clear. My face, however, is still broken out on my cheeks, although nowhere else. My doctor says there's been great improvement, but since I see myself every day it doesn't look that way to me, which I believe to be true. My original treatment time was estimated six months, but may be extended to eight. Will update next month!
Diana Pencheva

Diana is very involved with my treatment, I feel like she cares about my outcome as much as I do. Problems with insurance and only being able to get twenty pills at a time instead of the full thirty have caused some difficulties, but Diana has been very cooperative and helpful throughout the process. I highly recommend her as a dermatologist.

Thank you for being brave and sharing your story with us, I know how aggressive cystic acne is, I suffered from the age of 18 to my mid 30's. Don't let others get you down, you are doing something to resolve the issue, and you are seeing results, so that is very positive! One thing you can do, and you can discuss with your doctor (or I am sure you have) is keeping a food and drink journal to see if there are any trigger foods that may be causing the acne? For me it was all animal products, I had to go completely vegan to clear my acne. Be sure to drink lots of water and please keep us posted...you are doing great! Are you finding that you are getting any side effects such as dry mouth/lips?