Old and Frumpy on the Outside but Young at Heart - Worcestershire, England

I have my procedure on Saturday morning. It...

I have my procedure on Saturday morning. It seems forever since I booked it and the worry and anxiety since has been tremendous. Reading all the reviews here has helped as I don't know anyone that has had a facelift to discuss my decision with. Reading how everyone had researched their surgeon and procedure has also been a bit of a worry as I went with the first surgeon I saw, he made me feel very confident in his abilities and didn't try to push me into any procedures I didn't want though. Wish I had found this site before I booked. Anyway the good news is all the anxiety has been great for my weight. I will post some photos when my computer is working again, I only have a tablet at the moment.
Glad you are feeling OK!! Don't be afraid to take the pain meds the first couple of days. I switched over to Tylenol at Day 3, I think, but was glad for the stronger stuff (and lots of sleep, even though it was just in short shifts) at once. I'm still not really sleeping through the night... about 3 hours, awake for an hour, and then back to sleep for another 4 or 5. Plus maybe an afternoon nap! :) Be well, rest up, keep us posted!
Yes, a good price. Also, in my own experience, it seemed sensible to do my eyes at the same time, but the eyes were the hardest thing to cope straight after surgery, I couldn't see because so much cream in my eyes, then later they were very sensitive to light...as you know all getting better now...BUT, what I am trying to say is, that I think it was wise of you not to do the eyes at the same time...it was just too much for me on top of everything else.....but that is just me. So glad to read you are feeling optimistic!. Looking forward to pictures!
Hope you are doing well!

all done now

Had my procedure yesterday. I was so nervous I felt like I was some one else looking on. Got to the clinic early and then waited for ever to be shown to my room. But then everything happened very quickly. They were very thorough going over again my medical history, doing lots of test, including an ECG, and before I knew it I was being walked to the theatre. I seemed to be an age waiting to be anaesthetised, and was wondering if anyone has ever jumped up and run away before,- I was tempted. I must point out here, that before I went in I asked the surgeon to take some more pictures with my camera and then explained about this site and the fact that I was going to do a review. I thought it would be good insurance and give him some motivation to do a good job!! I went to theatre at 12pm and got back to my room at 4pm. Can't really tell how I will look as my face is very swollen, but I am quietly optimistic. I got my calculations wrong regarding the price, it is £5,500 gbp which is around $9,200. That includes the procedure, tests and a 2 night stay in hospital and unlimited aftercare. Which I don't think is too bad. I haven't been able to sleep fot more than an hour at a time. Have had quite a bit of pain on and off, but feeling ok at present. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

full facelift including neck (no eyework as i was too cowardly)

Just realised I forgot to mention what the procedure was.
Linda, don't let the swelling get you down, days 3-4-5 are definitely "swell" and not in a good way. But it will subside. I agree with all that sleeping is difficult... last night (night of Day 10 for me) was the first night I slept my normal sleep pattern. And that was with taking two Tylenol PM before bed, which is what my doc recommends. (I think most over the counter sleep stuff is the same ingredient as the allergy/antihistamine medicine Benadryl... the scientific name is Diphenhydramine HCL.) Definitely ask your doc what he recommends for your sleep! Anyway rest up, keep healing, and let us know how you're doing! :)
Thanks AtoZ, must admit the swelling is getting me down big time. I now am comparing myself to the monster out of the goonies. Wish I had a working computer to download the pictures. Will try to stay positive for the moment.
The swelling really will get better over the next few days!! Take heart that most everyone goes through that "OMG" phase in the second half of the first week... it was really helpful to me to see the photos from others who went through the "bobble head" phase and now look gorgeous. I still have a ways to go, but feeling better each day -- I'm sure you will be too!

morning of day 3 if you count nce operation day as day 1

Haven't slept well since operation. Keep thinking I look like sponge Bob square pants. I realise this is normal at this stage to panic and wonder if you have done the right thing, thanks to reading others reviews. Can't wait for the swelling to subside.

day 4 post op

Feeling a little more optimistic today. Swelling hasn't got any worse and may even be a little better. It is only ready other people's experiences and reassurance from my new "pals" that has stopped me going over the edge with worry. I see how great ever one else is looking and think it will be my turn soon, I will get over this setback. Next job is to start nagging husband to get the computer fixed so that I can post pictures. Trouble is he is being so supportive I don't like to him, had to make him go to work today as he thought I wouldn't cope without him.

Thursday now day 5 post I think

Looked in the mirror this morning and thought I saw a little of me back, ie bruising and swelling not so bad. Thank you to all of you who said today would be the turning point, as usual you were right. Thank god I found this site. My bruising and swelling has been tremendous, but then the surgeon had a lot of neck and sagging jowels to liposuction, stitch and pull. Will be going into Cwmbran this weekend to purchase a new computer, seems there is a problem with windows xp. Just hope I don't bump into any of my colleagues who think I am on a walking holiday. Anyway once I have posted my before and during pictures you will see the mammoth task my surgeon had. I am fed up sleeping upright. I never imagined how debilitating the surgery would be either, managed to cook a curry yesterday and that left me exhausted. I had images of me pottering around the house and Garden catching up with little jobs, no chance. I think it may be months before I am digging up the garden again.
It took over a week for me to see any results or look somewhat normal. Today I am on my 2nd week post surgery - still have swelling and bruising etc (Not happy)...But I know it will get better. We just need to be patient. In 30 days from now we will be so happy that we did this. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Can't wait to see your before and after photos. In a very short time you will look fabulous !!!!
Good to hear from you and happy you seem to be rounding the bend! :) Rest up for now... I'll bet in a few days you will find more energy coming back.

8 day post

I am still bruised and swollen, but I love my new neck and chin. Once the swelling has receded from my face and it doesn't look so square, I am sure I will be extremely happy that I took the plunge after so many months dithering. It was a hard decision to make as I don't know anyone else that has had a facelift and i was so worried that people would think me ridiculous and vain -but hey, who cares now when I have a jaw line and neck for the first time in many many years. I recommend Mr Michael Payne highly. I can't thank my new friends on this site enough for helping me through this process.
Thank you for your fabulous updates! I'm glad you are feeling better. Can't wait to see your photos! :)
P.s....I am also the only person out of my friends who has done this, the Brits have a different attitude towards plastic surgery, but I ( I have told 2 of my English friends) think if you don't admit to anything........everyone will be booking up for that walking holiday you went on! I am going back to London in the beginning of August, I am sure the most I will get is 'you look well!'
So far only my husband, ma in law and friend/neighbour know. My friend was only told as she is ill with bone cancer and there was no way I could avoid her for a couple of weeks when she would need me most (she was diagnosed the day I paid for procedure). The test will be when my son arrives later -will he notice?

Day 11 post procedure

Computer working at last. First few photo's of days 1 to 3. More to come

And there is more

I was very swollen and bruised for a long time (still am), but seeing a slight improvement every day. Pictures do not show how bad swelling really got.
So good to read how you're doing and to see your pics. You've gone through the worst. Your photos of your swelling and bruising made me wince.....and then I remembered it was only a few weeks again that mine were the same. You'll get better every day now. Be patient, take things slowly ....and please keep us posted. All good wishes!
Wonderful -- you're going to be so happy with the results! :)
Linda!....your neck looks wonderful!...you are going to look amazing!

12 day post op

12 days post procedure and first time out

Eldest son is visiting today, so I have to abandon wearing the chin strap and try to do something about the bruises. Face still swollen at the sides and skin numb in front of the ears. Still have a head full of staples which don't come out until next week. Spent ages putting on my makeup and arranging my hair over the staples and scars. I think I will be OK though as sons don't really see their mums as women, he probably won't even notice. Will just have to be careful when he arrives and tries to pick me up in his usual bear hug. Feeling almost normal today and am impatient for the swelling on sides of face (can't really see it in photo) to go down. One side more swollen than other and giving me a lopsided look. Had a walk around the shops earlier today and kept thinking I had forgotten something only to realise it was the chin strap - I felt naked without it. I will post more photo's when I am 2/3 week post op.
You are looking great!
Thanks, I am feeling my old conference returning.
I mean confidence!!!

he didn't notice

Son came home, bounced through the door and made a bee line for me. His dad had to shout "careful your mum has bruised her face", so he pulled back a little on the bear hug, gave me a quick look and said "have you lost weight, what have you got in to eat, I am starving"?
I was pleased but at the same time disappointed, which is daft as I don't want anyone to know.
You look great!
Linda, that's the PERFECT response from your son! :) I love it.
Linda, just reread your journey. You look wonderful!! My mother-in-law was from England. She was a lovely lady. I do not have to wear a chin strap.

19 Days Post Op with new hairdo

Had my staples out on Tuesday, some hurt some didn't, but feels a lot better with them out. Went to the hairdresser yesterday. Had to tell her about the op because of the scabs, but was a bit disappointed when all she said was "yes I can see you do look better" in a very unbelievable voice. I always used to keep my hair very short and behind my ears, but started growing it before the procedure to cover ears, so although my hair doesn't look much different to you, it is very different to how I used to wear it. Went to Gloucester Quays shopping with my son on Saturday, after he complained about the prices in one shop that was supposed to have a 70% reduction someone said to him "you don't go shopping too often with your wife then", he was gutted and replied "this is my mother" to which the man said "oh, sorry" and made a hasty retreat. I felt sorry for him as it was that long ago that someone thought I was my husbands mother. As I told him people don't look properly and just assume, I am just know though that this assumption wouldn't have been made a few weeks ago. The swelling has slipped down my face and now give me a chubby joweled looked which I am hoping will go with time. Hoping the swelling will go down before my other son's wedding in 2 week sand 3 days, but if it doesn't I won't be too bothered as I am feeling great anyway.
Wow. A totally incredible facelift. You really look amazing. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well. M
Thank you. Must admit I am looking forward to the day when I wake up and realise all the swelling has gone.
I am so with you!! Someday...

3 weeks today since procedure

Thought I would add more selfies as well as fully made up pictures. Feel a little more swollen today, but I had just had a hot shower before I took the photos.
Linda, I am doing very well "knock on wood". Can't believe that Monday will be 2 weeks post. Hope all is better for you. You look great! Keep us posted! Lily
What can I say...fabulous!!
Thank you, you seem to be healing very quickly with very little swelling.

back to work today

First day back at work on day 24 post procedure. Apparently my new hairstyle and colour and weight loss have knocked years off me!! One colleague kept looking at me though. Husband said it was a b*+×dy expensive hairstyle.
Thank you for sharing! You look wonderful and it sounds like you did not experience a lot of discomfort and pain. I know I will feel much like you do. I don't want anyone to notice but I want them to see a difference at the same time. Happy healing!
Not really too much pain, just sleeping on my back in an elevated position is though :/
Yes I know what you mean. I'm a side sleeper. I can only get through this ordeal with sleep aid.

THE WEDDING

Well the long awaited day has been and gone. Bride beautiful and groom handsome. I would like to post a picture of them but I think they might object if they knew. All went well and I looked the best I could considering it was only 5 weeks post procedure. I am still a little chipmunkie looking around the cheeks, but everyone said I looked great and my weight loss and hair style had knocked years off me. When introduced to brides mum's best friend she said I did not look old enough to be grooms mum - I didn't bother to tell her I had another son who is 40. I just wish that the swelling would go away and face and neck would settle down, but after reading everyone's reviews here it seems that this may take some time yet. This site has been a godsend to me.
Hi Linda, I hope you are getting lots of rest after the wedding. You looked beautiful. I did not get my eyes done as PS said I didn't need it right now. I really wonder if I should have got another opinion about that. Are you sorry now that you didn't just do it all at once?
Yes I am really, but thinking I may get it done next year when I retire as I will have a little lump sum which can pay for it. Don't think my husband would pay for that as well. If you ps said you didn't need your eyes done then I expect you don't as it would have been extra money for him to do it too.
I am a prolific sweller. Every procedure I have ever had, with the exception of botox, created massive fluid retention. I am a pretty small women, and you would not expect it (I think my PS who did my neck lift was SHOCKED by my level of swelling day 2). My end result under chin was outstanding about 2-3 months out. My neck has become loose again primarily due to my SMAS falling and causing bunching of my neck skin. I am having a FL in 2 days to address this and jowls. If you feel after a couple of months that you are too full, consult you PS or another. If your SMAS was not addressed (ask for a surgeon's operative report-it will tell you whether the SMAS was adjusted) it may have to be done to address droopy face from cheeks to jowl area. In my neck lift, the SMAS was not touched, hence the need for additional work 3 years later. Blessings, M

7 and a half weeks post

It is now 7 and a half weeks post procedure. I am still quite swollen around the jowls and numb around the ears. I know I look better than I did, but I can't help worrying that the jowls are here to stay. I am posting a couple of pics, one taken today and one a few years ago. I expect I am just too critical of myself and impatient too.

Pictures

Here are the pictures. Sorry the site crashed earlier when I was trying to post them.
Hi lilygirl I am fine. Still feeling a little swollen and trying to sleep upright but I too keep sliding down the bed. I'm still wearing the chin strap at night but it has stretched and is now a little loose. I am not keen on tennis I am afraid or any sport really. I have to put up with a lot of football having 2 sons and a husband from Liverpool (think it is soccer to you).
That posted before I had finished. We are off on a cruise in 2 weeks so I will post some updated photos before and after. Hope I don't put on too much weight!!! Hope you are well and healing nicely. Linda
Love cruising have a wonderful time :-)

3 months and one week

Hi all
I am now back from my cruise and had a great time. I have my 3 month review at the end of next month as my PS only visits Bristol one day each month and last month would have been too soon. This will be the first time I have seen him since leaving the hospital. My reviews so far have been done by a nurse. I know I look a lot better but I can't help feeling a little disappointed that since the swelling has receded I look more like my old "old" self and have a few saggy bits around mouth and neck. I am posting photo's for you to decide for yourself. That said I am happy I had the face lift.

OOPS posted last pictures before I had finished

Hi just read your review,you look stunning,I am now 24 days post op and 4 weeks away from my daughters wedding,still very numb around ears and behind ears and part of neck connecting to ears and still get very tight.please read my journey and congratulations once again .
You look great!
Linda, may I ask if you had local or general anaesthetic, how was it administered, and do you remember anything of the operation as it took place? Also did the ps work on lifting facial muscles (e.g.,smas facelift) and was there any hair loss from the incisions? Sorry about all the questions! By the way you look amazing, very elegant!
Michael Payne

I was a little naïve when booking my procedure. I hadn't come across this site then and had only looked at pretty local clinics. I picked the hospital group as they did free initial consultations when others charged. I was pretty impressed with Mr Payne though as he didn't seem to push me into anything although with hindsight, I think I need my eyes doing too, but I wasn't in the right place mentally to contemplate this at the time. I booked the procedure and then spent the next 2 months worrying about it, especially after reading all the research others had done on their PS. All seems to be well though and I am confident in the end I will be delighted. I am only on day 11 post surgery at the moment of this edit.