Invisalign - Not Worth the Money Spent -Woodland Hills, CA

Went to a well recognized dentist and spent the...

Went to a well recognized dentist and spent the big bucks to fix a small overlap in front teeth. After 17 trays and over a year of treatment my overlap in front is the same. I also have some gaps between teeth that I didn't have before. I'm more worried now about my teeth than before. Now I've been told this is the best it would fix my teeth, and what does that mean? After spending thousands and thousands of dollars I'm left with the same overlap and more extra gaps that I didn't need? I would not recommend invisalign to anyone. I asked couple of people who are attending different dentist office and the reaction was the same. When you begin the procedure they say one thing and tell you how good of a decision you made to fix your teeth and it'll be a perfect set of teeth with a beautiful smile. A year after when you point out what you desired is not happening the story changes, and answer is " I don't know...I can't tell you...it may not move anymore..." and so on and so forth. It's advisable to get braces as you know, it'll somehow fix your teeth!

As I read posts like yours, my heart goes out to the disappointed consumer / patient. No doubt--we all have had less-than-desired results but our job as providers is to "exhaust" our bag of tricks to resolve the original condition. The challenge in any trade is to know (1) what needs to be done, (2) how to do it and (3) what to try if effort #1 fails to produce. Teeth can move because the jaw bone will change its shape if pressure is constantly applied. The plastic aligners can very definitely apply pressures on the teeth but specific types of movement may be outside an aligners' range of efficiency. In these cases, traditional braces may be superior to removable aligners. Knowledge and experience are paramount in case selection and treatment planning. A "well recognized dentist" may not have all of the clinical skills of an experienced orthodontist (and Invisalign admits this to attendees at their seminars) even though his intentions are honest. Sadly, while Invisalign can be presented as a magic solution, it can be plagued with un-met expectations because it is asked to do more than it is capable of accomplishing. To gain your desired result, you may require a different approach, ie. fixed brackets. Whether this is a mode of treatment your dentist delivers is subject to your inquiry. I would assume that you've proceeded through the "refinement" process? Be open to another approach if proposed. It just may be the answer! Good luck.
The dentist is an orthodontist with many years of experience and also claims to have done many invisalign treatments over the years. It surprises me when the orthodontist see my teeth perfect when I could very well see the problem has not been fixed and it's only given me extra gaps over the time frame I had them. Since the issue I had was a minor one, I had one orthodontist saying my case would only take little as 3-6 months. Now I have been having these invisaligns on for over a year. Since you are a DDS, let me ask you a question that keeps bothering me more... In my opinion the retainers should be representing the perfect or shoud look almost close to what you desired to have at the end of the treatment period. The purpose of having the reatiners are to keep your teeth in the right place and to avoid your teeth move after it was fixed. Why do my retainers are made using the same mold impression? In other words my retainers have my front teeth overlap and I feel like that would always stay the same as retainers are suppose to avoid the moving of teeth. What do you think? Little dents and dimples (as the dentist call them) are being added to my retainers, but nothing works. I spent so much money for nothing, is there a way to get at least some of my money back? If so how do I do that? Is there only one company that makes invisalign?
Thank you for your comment Dr. Russell! The dentist is an orthodontist with many years of experience and also claims to have done many invisalign treatments over the years. It surprises when the orthodontist see my teeth perfect when I could very well see the problem has not been fixed and it's only given me extra gaps over the time frame I had them. Since the issue I had was a minor one, I had one orthodontist saying my case would only take little as 3-6 months. Now I have been having these invisaligns on for over a year. Since you are a DDS, let me ask you a question that keeps bothering me more... In my opinion the retainers should be representing the perfect or shoud look almost close to what you desired to have at the end of the treatment period. The purpose of having the reatiners are to keep your teeth in the right place and to avoid the teeth move after it was fixed. Why do my retainers are made using the same mold impression from the beginning of the treatment? In other words my retainers have my front teeth overlap and I feel like that would always stay the same as retainers are suppose to avoid the moving of teeth. What do you think? As you know the invisalign trays are made and sent to the dentist's office, I am thinking the trays should show the change of the overlap changing to the proper/ straight position by the time the retainers are given, shouldn't they? Little dents and dimples (as the dentist call them) are being added to my retainers, but nothing works. I spent so much money for nothing, is there a way to get at least some of my money back? If so how do I do that? Is there only one company that makes invisalign for all the orthodontists? Please advise!
Your provider (Orthodontist or Dentist) should take time to hear your concerns and attempt to rectify the problems as best as he/she can. The patient needs to be open to other alternative treatment approaches also. It is improper for anyone to judge another's behavior without full disclosure from all parties involved. My advise is to patiently pursue resolution with the provider and if you remain dissatisfied ask him/her what other resolution they would prefer. Most dental societies have review boards where disgruntled patients may explain their concerns for resolution. Be open to other pathways to your desired result and try to work with your primary provider before going outside their office. Good luck.
Thank you Doctor for your input!

I'm assuming you are completely done with your treatment at this point. Is that correct? Were you shown your Clincheck video before starting your treatment?

Yes I was... an obviously the plan was to get the teeth fixed after spending all that money. I am not a fighter and don't like arguing with my orthodontist but I am very disappointed at how things turned out, I don't know whether I can get some of my money back or not (without offending the dentist). Many occasions I have brought my concerns about the teeth still being overlapped, and that was the main reason why I got the invisalign (and it was not a major overlap) and now I've been said otherwise.