Gastric Bypass Does Not Work for Some People: Be Aware of That - Wisconsin

I have dieted all of my life but have always been...

I have dieted all of my life but have always been heavy. Since Jan of 2011 been fighting to get my insurance to approve the surgery and have traveled 2 hours each way to monthly appointments & have done over and above what was asked to get the surgery approved. After all of that, surgery was finally approved.

Had surgery Nov 16th of 2011 and it is now Jan 2nd of 2011 and guess what I have lost....10 pounds. The only reason I have lost 10 pounds is because I go to the gym 3...count em...THREE hours a day and burn 1,000 calories a visit.

All I have to show for that surgery is a HUGE ulcer that leaves me in tears sometimes and vitamin deficiency. There's so much hype involved in this surgery and 9 times out of 10 people only hear the MAGICAL stories but in reality, before you get this surgery, google people who haven't had results or who have gained it back later.

If you haven't seriously tried to work out faithfully or dieted try that first, I would never recommend this surgery to anyone after this experience and there are TONS of people out there like me... I just wish I knew that before I had the Roux-en-y.

Nothing to show for the painful surgery but heartache, depression, medical problems, and more medicines/vitamins than I've ever had to take in my life.

Dean Care

Dean Care is a horrible program and I have tried to switch HMO providers more than once but after I couldn't find another who would take my insurance, stayed with them. They are rude, inefficient, and I have had multiple problems with them. (Accidental cancellations, confusing information, etc.) According to others I have conversed with in waiting rooms or in appointments, I am not the first to say that about their program. Aurora in Milwaukee is another viable option and I would RUN to them if I had a chance to do it all over again.

How are you doing now? It has been 3 months. I ask because when I had my gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago, I too lost very little weight in the beginning. I knew I was only taking in about 600 calories a day so it made no sense to me. I kept a daily log of my food as well as when I threw up what little I did eat. After about 7 weeks, I saw my doctor and showed her my log. Because of this info, she recommended she do an endoscopy so she could see what was happening. Turns out she needed to stretch my opening so I could eat more food. I actually started eating about 1100 calories a day and the weight started coming off much faster.

Understand, I had been losing weight, just not as much as she would have expected so my situation may be very different than yours.

However, I am responding to you because there is an interesting phenomenon where if you do not take in enough calories, you will stop or slow down your weight loss. From an evolutionary stand point this makes sense because in times of famine our bodies are designed to hold on to our calories (weight).

I went on to have much success... I hope and pray the same is happening for you. Please check with your doctor to see if you can be helped.

Hi Lavender,

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you've had so many problems post-op. Has your doctor been able to give you any information on why you aren't losing weight or why it hasn't worked?

Kirsty