I Wish I Wouldn't Have Let Him Talk Me out of Having Them REMOVED Instead of Replaced. 6 Year Review! -Winter Park, FL

I went to Dr. Hartog with my 700cc circus boobs...

I went to Dr. Hartog with my 700cc circus boobs wishing to have them explanted because like many women who have had circus boobs there becomes a point that you're DONE. After convincing me that I'd be disfigured I opted for 500cc replacement implants. MISTAKE. Still have circus boobs. Still unhappy.
Orlando Plastic Surgeon

I'm a bit upset that the Doctor wasn't sensitive to my wanting to have my implants removed. I think doctors are more concerned with outward appearance and outcomes rather than the patients internal wants and needs. I trusted his opinion (he did my original surgery) therefore I allowed myself to be talked out of what I knew in my heart was the right thing to do. Now here I am 6 years later having these things REMOVED once and for all. And short of a PS telling me I will die if I have these stupid foreign objects removed I will not change my mind. Will I be unhappy with how they look? Maybe. But I am no longer that 20 year old insecure girl. I am a woman who has lived and learned a great deal in the past 20 years and one of the most important things I've learned is ability to love and accept myself for who I am. Dr. Hartog needs to become a bit more empathetic to his clients and realize that not everyone has outward enhancement on the brain. Some of us just want to be free.

Thank you for sharing your story. We appreciate all feedback from our patients – positive, negative or neutral – as it helps to identify where we are succeeding and where we can improve. I am sorry that you are no longer happy with your implants. I also apologize if I appeared insensitive to your wishes. It is never my intention to downplay the concerns of my patients. However, as with any surgical procedure, breast implant removal surgery carries risks both during and after the operation. I provide a full description of the risks of the treatments that I provide. My mission as a plastic surgeon is to help patients feel better about their appearance. Ultimately, the decision to have a procedure (and what type of procedure) rests with the patient. My mission is to explain in detail my opinion as to the likely aesthetic and medical outcome. I agree that 700 cc implants are quite large. I typically recommend against that size for my patients. For those patients who insist – for whatever personal reason they have – I have them sign an additional consent form explaining potential consequences such as skin stretch, sagging, and the like. In terms of follow-up procedures, we make our recommendations, and then take our lead from the fully informed patient – (assuming there are no medical reasons to avoid going down a particular path). The final decision to go smaller- and, if so, what size - or remove the implants altogether always rests with the patient. It sounds like you have achieved a great deal of personal growth in the last 20 years, and I respect your journey. I would welcome the opportunity to continue your care, especially as the original surgeon. I invite you to make an appointment with the clinic so we can discuss your options privately.

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf. It's great for women to learn that implants are not for everyone and that you can have them removed. Glad to see you are getting some great support from the Breast Implant Removal community. Wishing you the best!