Face / Neck Hair Removal Was Not Difficult - Winnipeg, MB

While I was on HRT as part of my transgender...

While I was on HRT as part of my transgender transition (MtF), one of my medications caused my face and neck hair to grow much more quickly, thickly, and over a larger area than ever before, with half of it coming in white. I had wanted to remove my facial hair anyhow, and the large amount of white that was coming in was a reminder that I needed to act before I aged sufficiently that laser would no longer be practical.

I investigated my local options and found a reputable clinic that was also convenient to home, and which was running a discount offer. I negotiated a little with them, and was able to start removal the same morning.

My hair to be removed was dark brown. I already knew that my white hairs would not be affected by the process. Interestingly, though, the white did seem to thin out as well over time; possibly the hair roots had not fully aged to white by the time I started.

My package deal included 8 sessions. The first session was the longest; sessions after that never lasted longer than 15 minutes of removal (plus some time to settle and to clean up.) Many of the sessions I ended up asking, "That's it? That's all?", as I mentally expected a lot more pain than it turned out to be. The most painful session was, I think, the 5th one (about 7 months in).

For me, the parts that hurt the most were the upper lip, followed by the underside of the jaw bone. One of the therapists indicated that many people find the underside of the jawbone to be worse than the upper lip.

I never needed any kind of numbing medication, neither before or after the sessions. They did recommend ice after the fore-mentioned 5th (most painful) session, but as the day happened to be well below freezing outside, just going outside was quite sufficient.

The most I ever needed in terms of pain relief was a pause of about 6 seconds during some close zaps on my lower lip. Most of the time, a pause of about 3 seconds was more than sufficient for me. Anywhere on my neck or cheeks, I never needed a pause at all. There were a couple of sessions in which my largest problem by far was "brain freeze" from the cooling air.

I achieved a good reduction in dark hairs, and what little is left grows notably slower than it did before. The 8 sessions were not, however, quite enough to eliminate all the dark hairs close to the left side of my mouth: some locations are tougher than others and it was no fault of the treatment that not everything succeeded. Additional treatments in that area would have been useful, but were not worth the additional cost for me. (Perhaps if I manage to catch a group discount someday.)

For me, as part of my transition, the money was well spent. It was too costly to do "at whim", but it was worth it for what it did for me.
Manitoba Dermatologic Surgeon

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

How are you doing now? We'd love to see a before/after photo, if you have any you feel comfortable sharing!