Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction - Windsor, ON

Years of daily congestion, post nasal drip, sinus...

Years of daily congestion, post nasal drip, sinus infections and sinus headaches motivated me to schedule this surgery. My Dr. decided after a CT Scan that I was indeed a candidate and the surgery was scheduled. I did a lot of research prior to the surgery so I would be prepared and have the best recovery plan possible.
Waking up in the recovery room was pretty awful! Face hurt like crazy and my mouth was beyond dry. I moaned a lot and the pumped me full of morphine & Gravol. The Gravol helped the nausea but the pain didn't really subside. The first few days were a bit rough but not terrible. My advice for 1st few days would be:
1. Take pain meds on schedule
2. Drink tons of water/fluids
3. Warm Air Humidifier
4. Keep your nose clean, saline, peroxide w/Qtips, antibiotic ointment w/Qtips
5. Sleep Elevated (don't bend over or lay flat)
6. Don't exercise, clean, lift
7. Be careful brushing your top teeth
8. Take the week or two off work that is recommended - I definitely needed it.

I am sure I am forgetting lots but I am 14 days post op, got my splints out yesterday! Felt amazing to get them out and it wasn't as horrific as I anticipated. My nose was a bit straighter actually although my 5 year old punched me hard this morning by accident when I was waking him up this morning so I have to go get it checked. It feels like it shifted. :)
If so, I'm going to be pretty frustrated. If not, I am thinking the surgery wasn't so bad and if it relieves some of my original symptoms it was worth it.

Thanks for adding those great tips to your review! I'm sorry your five-year-old socked you. Ouch! I hope it hasn't shifted. Children can definitely be hazardous to recent nose surgery.

Please let us know what your surgeon says.

I'm still waiting to hear, can't get in until Thursday but I think I'm ok. Fingers crossed. :)

2nd Surgery To Come

So...I saw my surgeon this Thursday and it turns out my son's blow to my nose did indeed fracture it and my straight nose (for less than 24hrs) shifted. I am going next week for a simpler surgery to put it back in place...surgery has to be within 14 max of the injury. 1-2 day recovery with 7-10 days with an external splint. I will keep you posted. :)

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Dr. Ali Hilal

Great bedside manner, very helpful & knowledgable.