I Had Botox, but Not for the Reason You Think... - Williamsville, NY

I had botox for underarm sweating. I had tried...

I had botox for underarm sweating. I had tried everything before: drysol, certain dry, and even an RX the doctor prescribed to me. Nothing worked for me, so it was suggested I try the botox. My insurance approved it as a medical procedure, but I'm still responsible for a copay. The copay for this procedure is still relatively high, but based on the results and the time it lasts, I believe it's worth it. The procedure involved a bunch of small needle sticks in the underarm area. It was tolerable, and just slightly uncomfortable. The first time I had it done, the nurse said she'd bring ice to numb the area before the procedure, but never came back with it. I had some minor swelling that first evening and noticed a few black and blue marks in my underarm area the next day. I'm happy to report the procedure worked for me. I had some sweating the first two days after after the first procedure, but I'm dry now. I sometimes feel what I refer to as "phantom sweating" and I think it's just my body attempting to sweat, but it's not. I still find myself worrying that I am going to sweat. Hopefully I'll lose that anxiety! Each person is different, so the time in between treatments will vary. I find I can go about 5-6 months before I'm ready for another injection.
Buffalo General Surgeon

While I'm pleased with the effects of the botox treatment, the office and the staff leave something to be desired. I found the doctor's bedside manor severely lacking. He seems rushed and didn't really explain anything to me about the procedures or medicines he prescribed to me. I had to ask questions, coaxing the information out of him. The staff, including the doctor, focus attention on their ringing cell phone and text message notifications when they're should be attending to their patients. I realize we live in a digital age, but if I'm paying for your service, your attention better be on me, not your smartphone, especially in a medical setting! As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get the ice when I asked for it. Also, the underarm area was not cleaned at all before injections were given. I had cause for concern with that, as I would assume that's an area prone to heavy bacteria. One positive about the office is the wait time I experience when I go in is usually minimal. I can get a procedure done, start to finish, in about an hour.