I Had Botox, but Not for the Reason You Think... - Williamsville, NY

I had botox for underarm sweating. I had tried...

I had botox for underarm sweating. I had tried everything before: drysol, certain dry, and even an RX the doctor prescribed to me. Nothing worked for me, so it was suggested I try the botox. My insurance approved it as a medical procedure, but I'm still responsible for a copay. The copay for this procedure is still relatively high, but based on the results and the time it lasts, I believe it's worth it. The procedure involved a bunch of small needle sticks in the underarm area. It was tolerable, and just slightly uncomfortable. The first time I had it done, the nurse said she'd bring ice to numb the area before the procedure, but never came back with it. I had some minor swelling that first evening and noticed a few black and blue marks in my underarm area the next day. I'm happy to report the procedure worked for me. I had some sweating the first two days after after the first procedure, but I'm dry now. I sometimes feel what I refer to as "phantom sweating" and I think it's just my body attempting to sweat, but it's not. I still find myself worrying that I am going to sweat. Hopefully I'll lose that anxiety! Each person is different, so the time in between treatments will vary. I find I can go about 5-6 months before I'm ready for another injection.
I have written 5 books about hyperhidrosis which I provide to every patient with hyperhidrosis. It is not likely that this patient did not get her questions answered as I do a thorough consultation when they first come to see me and make them watch a 45 minute video about hyperhidrosis that I have prepared at their initial meeting. I also have it on DVD and patients can chhose to take a copy home to watch it agn. Prior to getting authorization for Botox treatments, I or my physician assistant go through the same thing and document what has been tried (oral medication, topicals, etc) , document possible side effects, and recommend other options, all of which we provide - Botox, miraDry, sympathectomy. It seems that this patient did not understand or share an understanding of her concerns and perhaps should have read more about Botox on realself.com or read my 5 books which are written for patients or not sign consent for her repeat treatments. Signing informed consent for the procedure assumes the patient is properly informed about what she is getting. She says the effectiveness 'has lasted 5-6 months' so it means she got Botox before. Her concerns about 'the medication' is mute because she has had Botox treatments before and it is not clear reading her review what her concern is in regards to the 'medication'. We use alcohol to prep the site on every patient and I have never seen or treated a patient who has had an infection with alcohol prep of the underarm. She is wrong and not attentive to what was being done. I highly recommend for this patient to seek another provider as there are others in our community who can provide that for her. I don't think that given her concerns, 'the short wait time' is an adequate 'positive review' that should make her return to my office. etc. I respect her comment about staff using cell phones but I also recommend for her to seek another physician given her concerns. another provider.
Thank you for your response, Dr. K. As for your suggestion to find another provider, I have. I haven't been a patient of yours for over a year now. I've since had two series of injections with my new physician and I couldn't be happier with the quality of service I receive.
Thanks for sharing.  So you don't sweat at all anymore, or just less?
Buffalo General Surgeon

While I'm pleased with the effects of the botox treatment, the office and the staff leave something to be desired. I found the doctor's bedside manor severely lacking. He seems rushed and didn't really explain anything to me about the procedures or medicines he prescribed to me. I had to ask questions, coaxing the information out of him. The staff, including the doctor, focus attention on their ringing cell phone and text message notifications when they're should be attending to their patients. I realize we live in a digital age, but if I'm paying for your service, your attention better be on me, not your smartphone, especially in a medical setting! As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get the ice when I asked for it. Also, the underarm area was not cleaned at all before injections were given. I had cause for concern with that, as I would assume that's an area prone to heavy bacteria. One positive about the office is the wait time I experience when I go in is usually minimal. I can get a procedure done, start to finish, in about an hour.