Help - Wichita, KS

I am now day 5 post op. Had my surgery on Monday,...

I am now day 5 post op. Had my surgery on Monday, I'm not even sure the size I was because I couldn't wear anything but sports bras, however the 38 E was too small.

I am 23 years old, got boobs in 3rd grade, was a triple d by 6th. However back problems really only started the last few years. Anyways, I've been following this site, has really high hopes, and now I just don't know what to think. It seems like my recovery is going much more poorly than others.

Like I said, in post op day 6, I am still in tremendous pain, having to take the prescription meds and it still doesn't alleviate everything (I always thought I had a high tolerance, pain was not my concern with this surgery). I was puking all day yesterday, didn't get any post op antibiotics although I'm not running a fever and from what I can tell the incisions/drains look okay.

But it is really uncomfortable around the drain sites and when I stand up the bottom incision kills. I'm scheduled to get drains out on Monday. Still haven't even been able to shower. I ended up crying myself to sleep last night bc I have been so miserable with being in bed etc.

Any advice? In just so discouraged at this point and feel like I'm so behind on my recovery.

Ok, not really any difference on pain yet. I'm...

Ok, not really any difference on pain yet. I'm posting a picture of one of the drains, it is supposed to come out tomorrow. Do you think I will feel better after it comes out?? Probably will hurt some the way it looks :(

Picture is upside down, sorry

Picture is upside down, sorry

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the...

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the comments, so nice getting first hand experience. Drains come out at 145 today, so fingers crossed for uphill recovery from here!

Drains, nipple dressings, and steri strips all...

Drains, nipple dressings, and steri strips all came off today. I feel much better around the drain sites, however no improvement when standing. To top things off, right nipple looks almost black? PS said everything looked good but I'm having serious doubts. Waiting for things to look up...

New picture. Has anybody seen this? What happens...

New picture. Has anybody seen this? What happens if it is dead? I have tried calling PS but no return call yet...

I'll be going in to see PS tomorrow. Hopefully get...

I'll be going in to see PS tomorrow. Hopefully get some answers and some kind of good news.

They did not seem to be worried at all. Right may...

They did not seem to be worried at all. Right may be a little slower to heal but he says that will fall off and new skin is underneath. Hopefully things start to look a little prettier in the coming weeks!

Post op day 18. I wanted to wait a while until I...

Post op day 18. I wanted to wait a while until I decided on the "worth it", but at this time I have to mark no. I was apparently much less educated than I realized. After finding this site I felt very comfortable. Unfortunately, I've learned there is more than one way to do a reduction. I wondered why mine was so different from the reviews I've read, and I'd say the simple answer is bc I apparently had a free nipple graft, and most of you have not. Believe it or not, I thought that was the only way to do them, and it is not how they are generally done now (dumb me). Anyways, my right nipple/areola has lost a lot of tissue. It's pink underneath but if its healin at all I can't tell, the black spot is still attached, there is just a giant drop from half the areola to the other because of the tissue loss. I don't know how it could possibly heal without a giant scar. The t zone is also open, and it looks like the left t zone could start opening as well. My back feels good, however I am 23 and now I know there will be NO shot at breast feeding (I knew it was unlikely but I've heard many who could produce some), I have no nipple protrusion, and I will most likely have some ugly scarring. If I were older, this stuff may not have as much of an effect on me, unfortunately I am not. Anyways, glad to see everyone else is healing great, happy for you guys. Maybe some day ill be able to change my review?
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Still unsure on some aspects

I notice you don't have any before pictures posted, do you have any you could post? Most of the time a free nipple Graft (FNG) is used for girls who are EXTREMELY large before reduction (I'm talking size M) or if the nipple is dyin during surgery they might have to do it as an unplanned emergency (This all coming from what my surgeon told me) so that may have been what happened in your situation. I am so sorry you are not happy and glad you did this - I know being so young the scars are more of an issue for us from the beginning. I hope you are able to change your review to a yes once the healing is finished!
I agree with everything babydeer said. Sometimes FNG are also done if the breasts are very saggy (not necessarily huge). Do you have before pictures and after pictures that show your full torso?
My doctors name was Shaw, also, so I had to do a double-take and see where you were located. Different state! My incisions still hurt, mostly the end of them under my armpits. Im day 8 postop now. As for the nausea, I have a trick for you (if its still happening - hopefully not :) ) Make some jello, just follow the instructions on the package except when it tells you to put it in the fridge to harden, put it in a cup with a few ice cubes and sip on it. If it starts to turn solid you can microwave it a few seconds and add new ice cubes - the ice just makes the top layer cool so its comfortable to drink.The jello coats your stomach and helps a TON with nausea (pregnancy, sickness, medicine, you name it!) Its an old family secret I like to share because it works so well - I hope it helps you! Your nipple also might look kindof dark because of the surgical marker they used, I know my incisions look a little dark and crazy right now but its because there is still that darn purple marker on there right at the incisions. I hope everything else is going well - let us know if you need anything!
Thanks for the nausea trick! Thankfully I'm finally off those pain meds but I will definitely keep that for later :) yours look amazing by the way, congrats!
My BR was 11/26 and although I did NOT have any drains, I was feeling a lot like you on day 6 with regard to incision pain, etc. I have posted two questions on here about uneven healing, and possible nipple necrosis. Perhaps they will reassure you? I believe you can just look them up under my name... I was fearing the worst, but after a couple of PS replies, I'm more optimistic. I posted the latest pics on 12/21, and i'ts already looking and feeling better. My own PS told me not to worry so much, and not to expect daily improvements or changes--it can take up to 8 months! Unfortunately, patience is one of my WORST qualities! lol Hope your Christmas was awesome, and that your healing is coming along better now. :)
Thanks for sharing, that does make me feel better :) I'm like you, patience is not one of my traits! I'm trying to learn though. I'll be curious to see how you heal in the days to come, hopefully everything will be perfect :)
I hope things settled down for you! Let us know how you are!

It looks like a blood blister with scab...the nipples take a while to heal.  Just keep in close contact with your doctor but I think you will be fine.

Hey, My one nipple looked like that too! But honestly the blackness just flaked off and when I peeled off the top dead layer all of the nipple underneath was nice and pink! It took quite a while actually, just be patient and it'll all be good!
Ahh thank you SO much, that is so reassuring to hear!
How long did it take before the last scabs came off Tweedy?
It was more like peeling thin layers of dead skin off, and it lasted a while.! Once I peeled off a dead layer of skin sometimes it would peel again a few days later until the skin underneath was healthy. I would say..3-4 weeks before my nipples stopped peeling haha. Even now there's sometimes dead skin that's rubbed off onto the inside of my bra or tank top!
It's difficult to transition from 'the girls' hanging out around my waist to up and around my ears. I was told by a co-worker who had BR surgery last January, to start lightly massaging 'the girls'. And that eventually they will get softer. They feel rock hard after 1 week post surgery.
its so easy to freak out especially when they scare the heck out of us with the risks!! Waiting to see the boss seems endless when you are worried. All I'm going to say my end is that they will not look 'right' for a while! Let us know how it went. xx
You are very right! Internet can be a bad thing (not including wonderful sights like this). I'll be anxious to see how they change the next few weeks/months! Thanks
It looks like your nipple was bruised in that area, but I'm definitely not an expert. You should check with your doctor.
yes they should be seein u immediately if its losing any blood flow. i can say that mine was a smidge discolored but it turned out it was the bad bruising i had. plz tell them u dont wanna wait. it will ease ur mind and u wont feel stressed. thanks for sharing ur pics!
Hope you can get in today, it looks like it hurts, please keep up posted!
Looks either black or purple to me. I would definetly get in to see your md ASAP. They can put a nitroglycerin ointment on it to increase the blood supply. Keep calling he needs to respond promptly to this.
i hope you feel better every minute to a fast recovery. hang in there.! xoxo
Hey there. I hope you are doing a little better. I am 6 days post op, and this recovery process has been very hard for me too. It is getting better after my surgery incident. But It is frustrating being stuck at home a limited to what I can do. But take it easy and I wish you the best of luck. Keep an eye on those nipples as they should always remain PINK-NO BLUE, PURPLE or BLACK-if so call your surgeon. Continue to check all areas of your breast daily for any changes. Get better soon!

Hang in there!!   Try some hot compresses on the drain site.

Keep a close eye on the nipple and call the doctor is necessary.  Are you having achy pain?  You will feel tightness, swelling and shooting pains for a while but it does pass.

Most of my pain comes from standing up, it is all on the bottom of my breasts like they are really bruised or something, but they aren't. I'm very worried about the nipple. I will post pics soon

That pain sounds about right.  My soreness was very deep for a while.  It eases up I promise.  Do post the pics if you can.

Hi Breezy, its early days yet,you HAVE to be patient. I am saying this because i went through the same thing comparing my progress to the image in my head. Big mistake,it only caused paranoia! I thought of other people's recovery pics and scrutinized my breasts several times a day for any changes. Then i told myself: STOP!!! Do what the PS told you to,stop googling stuff, stop scrutinizing,just trust that all will go well and relax. Since then i am much calmer and hey,i AM recovering. Tomorrow is only ONE month post op for me and yes, i still have discomfort. I still have to hold my breasts when i get up as it feels heavy on the bottom incisions,until yesterday i still had to dress my T incisions every day as they were still oozing. But now they have dried up and things are looking much better.From my own experience i can vouch that after the drains came out, the pain improved dramatically. Just check your breasts twice daily or so, if there is any redness or something that bothers you,do not hesitate to contact a professional for advice. Dont wait and it should all be ok. Just relax and remember your body was sliced open and stitched back together, things will take weeks,months to completely heal. Take care of yourself,listen to your body and have a positive outlook. That would be my advice to anyone post op. If you hv any questions,pls let me know. All the best!