My Breasts - Scotland

I opted to have a preventative double mastectomy...

I opted to have a preventative double mastectomy with reconstruction surgery after finding out I carry the faulty brca1 gene. It has been a long emotional road to which I am nowhere near the end but I dont regret it one bit. I chose reconstruction with implants but I have just had one removed due to infection, I have found this devastating but it will be fixed in the future with a new impant after I heal properly. I am currently in hospital after having it removed today so emotionally I am drained but I still know I made the best decision to get rid of what I called 'my ticking time bombs'.

I'm happy to hear you don't regret your decision despite the challenges you have encountered. I'm also glad to see that you're writing your review while you're in the hospital. It would be so great if more women started writing their reviews early on in the process so we can all be here to support you throughout your journey. I hope the surgery went well and would love to hear an update on how you're feeling. Do you know how many months you will need to wait before you can have surgery again? Take care and please keep us posted!

Hi, well I definatley made the right decision to have the implant removed as in doing so the surgeon has managed to save the stratus aswel as all my skin which makes it much easier when I do get my new implant, I have been advised it will between 3-6 months until I have my next surgery as it is much better in the long run to let the tissues and skin heal properly, the staff have been amazing and I have a 'comfy' that slots into a bra so nobody will know im minus a breast, its been an emotional rollercoaster but I have a great partner snd beautiful children to get home to so its not all that bad really, its certainly better than living in fear of cancer! Im happy to say I go home tomorrow and I cant wait :) .

It sounds like it will be worth the wait but the wait will be challenging. Glad you have a great partner and children to keep your mind somewhat at ease while your body is healing and preparing for your next surgery. I should have said this earlier...congratulations on putting a stop to that brca1 gene!  ;)

At home

Well its been a week to the day since I had to have my left breast implant removed due to infection, im still a bit sore and emotional
Even though I know it was the right and only decision its still really hard to deal with, I havent really been out the house since I got home but I will have to next week as my partners back to college and I need to do thd school runs, I have a 'comfy' that goe into my bra so nobody can tell the difference, but I know and thats what im trying to deal with, I dont feel confident or ready to post pictures of it at the moment but maybe in due course.
miss elaine anderson, western general hospital

I have a very highly experienced breast surgeon who I have every faith in whom I know will give me beautiful breasts at the end of this long road.